I just got done watching HBO's four-part documentary, "The Weight of the Nation," which outlines the multiple factors, problems and potential solutions involved in dealing with America’s obesity epidemic. It is one hell of a piece of work, and I think it’s worthy of your time.

Indeed, it appears to be available on HBO's website, and I would encourage anyone who takes this issue even slightly seriously to have a look, and understand the dynamics of the food and advertising industries in the US and how they relate to the current status of obesity in the US, and what is being done to correct and counter a problem which has the potential to hamstring us and do so BADLY.

I could go on and on about this series without really giving expression to what was reported.  Suffice to say, it struck a chord with me.  Please consider it.

Tags: Weight of the Nation, obesity

Views: 59

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting! I haven't seen all the parts but I will shortly. Chris - who is continuing the fight against overweight with paleofood at the moment...

Hmmm, "paleofood" - is that anything like the 700-year-old Twinkies that WALL-E was feeding to this cockroach?

I'm not sure about the cockroach, but I understand the rest more or less :-)

I meant this http://thepaleodiet.com/

I have this recorded, I will begin watching it tonight with the hubby. We've been on a modified diet for a while now, no processed foods, very little sugar... at first it 'seems' as if it kills the wallet because the 'cheap' food is the processed junk, but after a while you realize that you consume a lot less when you eat 'whole foods', so it does balance out in the budget.

There was a piece on 60 minutes with Sanjay Gupta about the dangers of sugar, did any of you see that yet?

I read Gary Taubes' book, Good Calories, Bad Calories several years ago, and was extremely impressed...we have been lied to for almost 100 years about fats, calories, and carbohydrates.  The only problem I had with that book was that it went into highly technical explanations of how our bodies store fat, how insulin affects our metabolism, etc., and I got kinda lost.  But it has helped me control my blood glucose, and I've lost 25+ pounds so far...and kept them off for over a year!

So, I'm going to order Why We Get Fat (2010)....ASAP

Amazon Synopsis/Review:

An eye-opening, myth-shattering examination of what makes us fat, from acclaimed science writer Gary Taubes.

In his New York Times best seller, Good Calories, Bad Calories, Taubes argued that our diet’s overemphasis on certain kinds of carbohydrates—not fats and not simply excess calories—has led directly to the obesity epidemic we face today. The result of thorough research, keen insight, and unassailable common sense, Good Calories, Bad Calories immediately stirred controversy and acclaim among academics, journalists, and writers alike. Michael Pollan heralded it as “a vitally important book, destined to change the way we think about food.”

Building upon this critical work in Good Calories, Bad Calories and presenting fresh evidence for his claim, Taubes now revisits the urgent question of what’s making us fat—and how we can change—in this exciting new book. Persuasive, straightforward, and practical, Why We Get Fat makes Taubes’s crucial argument newly accessible to a wider audience.

Taubes reveals the bad nutritional science of the last century, none more damaging or misguided than the “calories-in, calories-out” model of why we get fat, and the good science that has been ignored, especially regarding insulin’s regulation of our fat tissue. He also answers the most persistent questions: Why are some people thin and others fat? What roles do exercise and genetics play in our weight? What foods should we eat, and what foods should we avoid?

Packed with essential information and concluding with an easy-to-follow diet, Why We Get Fat is an invaluable key in our understanding of an international epidemic and a guide to what each of us can do about it.

Nutrition "science" for the past century has been very much like "creation science;" if the experimental results didn't fit somebody's  pet theory, they threw out the results and kept the theory.

Dr. Frederick Stare of Harvard was one of the chief culprits, and he spread his low fat/low calorie ideas via a nationally syndicated newspaper column in the 1960s and 70s.  He also infected hundreds of students with his mistaken beliefs.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service