this is why i am an atheist. long ago a friend died, and i had to try figure out why. i was still a mild believer. my grandma had repeatedly fed me the mantra, god is love. so why wud a just, benevolent god, who is love, create this world, filled as it is with evil? thats my question.

nother query. how many of you were turned to atheism by this?

Views: 657

Replies to This Discussion

Tom Sarbeck

You are absolutely right if we think of the present situation. Back in 1945, when Israel was carved out as a new Jewish nation, it could not even have survived without American support. If the Jewish lobbby has become dominiting, it is the problem of wealth and vote bank democracy. It is for the people of the nation to think about how to deal with this kind of problem.

See my reply above to Tom. The Jews have always been a small part of whatever country they were SUFFERED to live in (never had freedom or citizenship anywhere, and were tortured and murdered plenty -- last lynching of a Jew in the US was in 1913), so I really resent your characterization of the "Jewish lobby" as being a dominiting (sic) part of the US government. The only people to have been oppressed so consistently for so long are your relatives from India, the "Gypsies" or more properly, Rom and Sinti. It's just that your relatives didn't learn to work the system and mine did. And in the future, it's not going to be the Jews; it's going to be the Chinese. Once you start ethnic-bashing, it never ends.

Thanks, Natalie.

I have for a few years been happily tossing it in Catholics' faces that the people their Church relegated to the low practice of trade did so well in it that they came to almost rule the practice.

It thought it ingenious that they wrote IOUs in their own language and robbers, unable to read them, didn't recognize what they were and left them.

few robbers cud read any language.

Natali,

I am well aware of the plight of Jews. I have no reason for any kind of ethnic baiting and when I say that the Jews are dominating, I only say what comes to me as a general knowledge from the world. I could be wrong, but isn't it true that America has been a strong supporter of Israel since its inception?

Yes, the US has always been a strong supporter of Israel. Possibly out of guilt because they would not let fleeing Jews into the US during the war, and then were horrified when the pictures of the surviving victims and piles of corpses started coming out of the liberated camps.

But DEFINITELY not because Jews dominate ANYTHING politically in this country. Jewish leaders BEGGED Roosevelt to bomb the railroad tracks leading into Auschwitz in order to stop or at least limit the murdering, but he wouldn't do it. He is also on record as having said a number of anti-Semitic things.

The only thing that Jews can truly be said to have dominated are the financial markets of medieval and Renaissance Europe, because money-lending was too "dirty" an occupation for good Christians (just as dealing with animal corpses was too "dirty" for the average Indian, thus the "untouchable caste". And Jews were prevented by law from any other occupation anyway, except for subsistence farming in certain districts.

The other occupation was the movie industry -- Jews basically founded it and are still in it in numbers greater than their percentage of the population. But that is declining.

Another cultural reality is that from ancient history, the Jews have been the People of the Book (Mohammed actually uses that term), and education has always been paramount, so Jews are overrepresented in academia. But that is changing too, as Asians with the same values are competing for the University positions. That is as it should be.

Excepting the ultra-orthodox lunatic fringe, the only thing Jews want is the same thing everyone else in the world wants -- a place to be safe, the necessities of life, and the acknowledgement of their (our) identity as a people or a nation or an ethnic group -- whatever you want to call it. And if the US, this bastion of freedom and democracy, repeatedly refused to save Jewish lives during the Holocaust, who will?

just as dealing with animal corpses was too "dirty" for the average Indian, thus the "untouchable caste".

Actually, it was the otherway round. Those who were born in some specific casts had to deal with dead animals, due to cast definitions.

Jewish leaders BEGGED Roosevelt to bomb the railroad tracks leading into Auschwitz in order to stop or at least limit the murdering, but he wouldn't do it. He is also on record as having said a number of anti-Semitic things.

I was quite unaware of this horrific fact.

But how and why were the caste definitions developed in the first place?

Thanks! :-)

Natalie A Sera

There are various reasons described in our scriptures. The cast system is so old that it is impossible to know when this system started. The general belief is that god created this system as a social order. This system is prescribed in the Vedas, the oldest scriptures. In ancient times Hinduism was known as Vaidic religion, that is , a rligion based on the philosophy of Vedas.

Jews make up about 2% of the population. Do you REALLY think they decide the elections ANYWHERE except in a few districts in New York, and Florida? Born-again Christians decide WAY more than Jews do!

Natalie, I'm amazed! And maybe newly educated.

I understand (perhaps wrongly) that born-agains support Israel to hurry their rapture along.

Can it be that born-agains have for decades supported Israel, and I wrongly concluded that their combined political strength was that of Jewish folk alone?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service