This entire book is online -- for anyone interested in reading about global warming.

I have been talking about the wildfires in TX in my discussions here.  There is a new fire just about everyday here in TX. 

Another fire has erupted in Bastrop County!

"Wildfire frequency and danger are closely tied to weather. Although one might
assume that the greatest wildfire danger is associated with the most severe droughts,
wildfires are most dangerous when a few months of very wet weather produce heavy
vegetation growth and are followed by a few months of very dry weather that cause the fuel to dry out. When the fuel is in place, dangerous wildfires are most likely to occur on days with very strong wind and low humidity. Dust storms are favored under similar weather conditions but with longer-term dryness."

Wildfire Update – October 5, 2011

Current situation: 

• Yesterday Texas Forest Service responded to 11 new fires for 1,047 acres, including a new large fire in Bastrop County. 
  • In the past seven days Texas Forest Service has responded to 104 fires for 5,731 acres.
  • 251 of the 254 Texas counties are reporting burn bans.
  • Daily detailed fire information can be found here or at inciweb.org.

OLD POTATO ROAD, Bastrop County.  1,000 acres, 25 percent contained.  50 homes threatened and evacuations are in occurring with structure protection in progress.  Multiple dozer task forces, heavy airtankers, helicopters, SEATs and an air attack are heavily engaged in suppression efforts.  This fire is burning in heavy fuels approximately 7 miles northeast of Bastrop.  

How is global warming affecting where you live?

http://texasclimate.org/Books/ImpactofGlobalWarmingonTexas/tabid/48...

Views: 190

Replies to This Discussion

It's been up and down, in my prefecture. It's a fairly warm day today, pretty nice actually.
It's supposed to be 80 here.

We had a cold steady rain all day yesterday...very unusual for October in SoCal.  A few days before that it was in the high 80s...too hot to breathe.

We had some terrible brush fires in the hills around here a few years ago. They were followed by unusualy wet winters, which caused mudslides where the ground cover had been burned away.  The result of all that is that springs either dried up or were buried, small prey animals disappeared, so more mountain lions, coyotes, and bears (oh, my?) than usual have been coming down into suburbia looking for food and water. 

Coyotes and mountain lions can climb or jump over 6' fences and walls, bears just plow right through them.  So now people who live in developments, that should never have been built in the foothills in the first place, are screaming that all these wild animals should be shot on sight to protect their children and pets...  I hope the Animal Control departments in the various cities decide to trank, capture, and relocate the animals instead.  It's not their fault that they're hungry. 

And it's pretty well known that the worst fire (called the "Station Fire," the one that threatened the observatories on Mt. Wilson) was caused by arson. Sick.

That's interesting sk8eycat! Thanks for sharing.

It's disturbing when somebody starts a fire during a particularly dangerous period. But I'm also dismayed by the way the media, and people, jump on arson claims when a devastating fire happens under extreme fire hazard conditions. Instead of facing up to the hard issue of  underlying climate change, they scapegoat. When extreme conditions hold, even if nobody is careless or malicious, fires start from spontaneous combustion, a bit of glass focusing sunlight, or lightening. Fires ravage remote Siberian forests, for example. Here's a 2007 article.

Under one of the climate scenarios developed by the Hadley Centre of the Met Office, the current forest zone in western Siberia - the largest unbroken tract of trees on the planet - could be so dried out by 2090 that the trees would die off and be replaced with steppe.

What it doesn't mention is that a change from dried-out forest to steppe will include transition by fire.

TOT- Why is it we aren't doing what they do in the Middle East?  IE build lots of desaltification plants along the coasts and pipe water to the dry areas.  It works there.  Israel has been able to farm the desert this way.  They have all sorts of ways to irrigate so the water isn't wasted and doesn't evaporate.  Instead of seemingly only talking to them about missiles and war, we ought to be picking there brain on   how they are turning the desert green.  It may not work for us, but it would be better than sticking our head in the sand and praying "please drought go away" - the Rick Perry way.
holy shyte! whao. i hear aussieland is worse!?
I appreciate all your replies! Thanks so much for joining in my discussion!
This just upsets me terribly even though I don't live in Texas.  My sister lives in The Woodlands just north of Houston, and I used to go down to do the Houston-Austin MS150 (a bike ride for charity) with her.  We used to ride through Bastrop State Park.  I loved rural Texas and especially the park.  I hate to think of it wiped out by fire and all the friendly people I met there so devastated.  I was just down visiting for several weeks in August, and even in usually rainy southeast Texas, trees were dying from heat and drought.  There were more dead animals than usual on the roads - probably hit by cars while trying to get to swimming pools, lawn sprinklers, and any other source of water.  It was so hot even lifelong locals were complaining!  108 degrees at 9:00 pm one time that I remember.  I worry about my sister and her family - they are surrounded by tinder-dry woods in the aptly-named Woodlands.  And my heart goes out to those in the Bastrop area!  Wish I could send them some rain!  The constant rain and cool weather we have been griping about all summer here in the northwest doesn't seem so bad now.

I used to hike Bastrop State Park all the time.  The park is 95% burned.  Guess It'll be a while before anyone can hike there again.

Yes, it's been so hot here -- even for us!

We actually did get a little rain the other day. But we need so much more. 

I feel for your sister!

Thanks so much Dorris! : )

Texas Wildfire Update – Oct. 10, 2011

Current situation:

· In the past seven days Texas Forest Service has responded to 65 fires for 1,866 acres.

· 250 of the 254 Texas counties are reporting burn bans.

· Daily detailed fire information can be found at inciweb.org.

·The Old Potato Road Fire in Bastrop County was contained yesterday at 310 acres.

New large fires from yesterday (more than 100 acres in timber, 300 acres in lighter fuels; or where homes were lost):

None.

Uncontained fires from previous days (more than 100 acres in timber, 300 acres in lighter fuels):

None.

That's GREAT news!

you say... WHAT?????

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service