In an interview with KTVI-TV on Sunday, the GOP Senate nominee [Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.)] was asked if he supported abortion in the case of rape.

"From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," said Akin said of pregnancy caused by rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."

... (story cont at the link below)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/19/todd-akin-abortion-legitim...

At this point, I shouldn't be surprised and I shouldn't bother telling anyone else that this level of stupid exists in positions of power, but I just can't help it.  It needles at me until I'm about to burst, that there are (supposedly) educated people out there who spew this garbage yet maintain a following.  Granted, he does later "recant" his statement, but the damage is already done.  Maybe the reason I am posting this is that I just need the comfort of smart people right about now.

I hope the man doesn't have any daughters.

Views: 468

Replies to This Discussion

Yep.  I have a real problem with the word "sanctity" being inserted into a political platform:

sanc·ti·ty  (sngkt-t)

n. pl. sanc·ti·ties
1. Holiness of life or disposition; saintliness.
2. The quality or condition of being considered sacred; inviolability.
3. Something considered sacred.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the laws as written in the United States Constitution.

I've been calling the "pro-lifers" (who LOVE the death penalty, BTW!) the Church of the Holy Fetus. 

I think a lot of them are afraid that that Holey Spook is gonna knock up another virgin, and she'll say, "No way!" and have an abortion...thereby cancelling "Armageddon."

According to the Rasmussen poll published yesterday, Mitt Romney's lead in Missouri appears to have vanished for now:

The latest Rasmussen Reports telephone survey of Likely Missouri Voters finds President Obama with 47% support to Romney’s 46%....

The margin of sampling error is +/- 4.5 percentage point....

... and commenters at the conservative "Free Republic" site are overwhelmingly furious at Akin, demanding that he step down: (emphasis mine)

Akin - GTFO NOW!!!!!!

Akin must be being paid for this. .

If we fail to take the Senate, every pro-abortion mandate in Obamacare will stand forever [...] the pro-life crowd [...] are only hurting their own cause by sticking with Akin to an electoral defeat.

To Todd Akin...thanks alot @$$ho!e!

It would be better if Claire ran unopposed - the race is probably lost anyway - than for this ballot box poison to remain on the ballot. He is toxic to anyone with an (R) after their name.

Thanks a lot Akin. Happy now? How dos the re-election of Obama and McCaskill further the conservative cause?

I would much prefer that radical conservatives would tell the truth about their crazy beliefs the way Akin has, so that voters can be sure about what they're voting for (or against). Instead they mostly weasel around the way R-Money does, and say nothing of substance.

They remind me of the way some cats try to "cover-up" a mess on a tile floor.

So true.  I'd much rather they speak out and lay all their cards on the table.  The more they speak, the more they expose and invite criticism of their crazy beliefs. 

I wish there was such a thing as a "Truth Spell." (I read a lot of fantasy fiction...) Some fool-proof way to indicate when a politician is lyiing....yeah, I know, when his/her mouth is open.

But I am getting a good laugh out of the GOPher damage control "team" scrambling around, and accomplishing nothing.  That's why I said the whole hoo-rah makes me think of a cat trying to bury a turd on a bare floor.

SF again... in the world of The Truth Machine, a perfect lie detector is developed. Very quickly, politicians who refuse to be interviewed under the Truth Machine find themselves unelectable.

Oh!  I haven't read that one!  Who wrote it?

I think our biggest problem right now is that a large number of voters don't want to hear the truth; that's why they spend so much time, money, and energy on religions.  And accept whatever their Fearful Leaders tell them.  As long as the pastor/rabbi/priest/imam doesn't tell them who to vote for from the pulpit, it's legal.  There's always that little hand-shaking and greeting/conversation ritual at the door after the service...

And the church-organized "Get Out the Vote" with free rides to the polls for parishioners .... and encouraging words from the drivers on the way...

Oh, my!  I just remembered getting stuck in an airport-to-home shuttle that was owned by a xian broadcaster once.  The driver had the radio tuned to a program about the evils of Halloween, and when we (there were 9 or 10 very tired passengers from all over) begged him to change the station to classical music, he said something like, "Don't you want to hear ghod's word?" And turned the volume up to Ear-Splitting.  You betcher a** I was on the phone to the shuttle company the next morning. 

If they can get away with that, I have no doubt that they harangue passengers about politics, too.

Oh, my!  I just remembered getting stuck in an airport-to-home shuttle that was owned by a xian broadcaster once.  The driver had the radio tuned to a program about the evils of Halloween, and when we (there were 9 or 10 very tired passengers from all over) begged him to change the station to classical music, he said something like, "Don't you want to hear ghod's word?" And turned the volume up to Ear-Splitting.  You betcher a** I was on the phone to the shuttle company the next morning.

That's terrorizing!

The Truth Machine is by James L. Halperin.

It turns out to be available as a free download. (Heritage Auctions is the author's company.)

( http://coins.ha.com/c/content.zx?content=ttm )

Agreed that that ear-splitting proselytizing is terrorizing!

There's an outside chance that you can do something with ignorance, but stupidity such as this is definitely terminal.

There's ignorance, and then there's PURPOSEFUL ignorance, John, the kind of ignorance which owes its existence to a dependency on dogma, superstition or myth.  In the case of Akin, I think we can safely say all of the above.

As to being terminal, I wish it were.  The problem is that Akin's poll numbers haven't changed that much and it is possible he might achieve the Senate ... NOT an encouraging event by any measure I recognize.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Todd Crispin replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Pope Francis confesses that Evolution and the Big Bang theory are right: God isn't 'a magician with a magic wand' in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
16 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Todd Crispin's discussion Unidentified Flying Objects?
30 minutes ago
Profile IconTodd Crispin, Kristi H and Connor Galletly joined Dr. Terence Meaden's group
34 minutes ago
Todd Crispin posted a status
"Sitting here eating sunflower seeds waiting for smart people to create a pill to make be skinny again....lol.."
37 minutes ago
Todd Crispin replied to Todd Crispin's discussion Unidentified Flying Objects?
46 minutes ago
Jimmy McCann replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Pope Francis confesses that Evolution and the Big Bang theory are right: God isn't 'a magician with a magic wand' in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
53 minutes ago
Todd Crispin replied to scott martins's discussion IS EVERYBODY 100% POSITIVE THERE IS NO GOD?
1 hour ago
Mequa replied to Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
2 hours ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
Todd Crispin replied to Todd Crispin's discussion Unidentified Flying Objects?
2 hours ago
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service