In an interview with KTVI-TV on Sunday, the GOP Senate nominee [Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.)] was asked if he supported abortion in the case of rape.

"From what I understand from doctors, that's really rare," said Akin said of pregnancy caused by rape. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist."

... (story cont at the link below)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/19/todd-akin-abortion-legitim...

At this point, I shouldn't be surprised and I shouldn't bother telling anyone else that this level of stupid exists in positions of power, but I just can't help it.  It needles at me until I'm about to burst, that there are (supposedly) educated people out there who spew this garbage yet maintain a following.  Granted, he does later "recant" his statement, but the damage is already done.  Maybe the reason I am posting this is that I just need the comfort of smart people right about now.

I hope the man doesn't have any daughters.

Views: 472

Replies to This Discussion

i often wonder how they would feel if this scenario played out in their own family.  somehow, i think they would change their tune. 

The only thing I hope for when I see such stupidity in action is that I Hope Akin's Stupidity COSTS HIM VOTES!  Otherwise, he's just one more stupid, representing even MORE stupids.

I hope it cost him votes too. Too bad he won't step down.

Akin not stepping down might be a good thing, if it dilutes the Republican vote. Mary Matalin said on Sunday that the party is ready to run and finance a "third-party" write-in candidate.

(from Think Progress)

Matalin: We are going to win Missouri and Wagner is going to be our candidate. The party is going to get Ann Wagner in.

Stephanapolous: So you are just convinced he’s going to get out

Matalin: Or we’ll run a third party, we’ll run a write-in. We can do it. We have the money to do it. We are going to transfer the money. It’s not as easy. But it’s a good state for Romney and we will get it back.

This week I was reading about Galenus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galen whose ideas were popular in the Middle Ages. One of his ideas was that women only get pregnant after an orgasm. So if a woman complained that she was raped and she wasn't pregnant, there was no proof. If she was pregnant they concluded that it was no rape...

I can forgive Galen for his mistakes, but that Akin... 

If this were true, our population problem would improve.

This guy is from my area (St. Louis) and is currently the representative for the current 2nd District, which contains the well-to-do areas of West St. Louis County and St. Charles County.

Being from the area, I almost feel I have to apologize to everyone for him.

You have my condolences.

As of this morning, his "recant" really isn't. He has just kept repeating that he misspoke, sorry that he misspoke, etc. Has not really apologized or said it's a wrong statement. Another example of the war on women by the GOP. Romney/Ryan are scrambling backwards as fast as they can to distance themselves from this cretin, as are other members of the GOP. I am with Loren. I hope this costs him votes. On second thought, I hope this makes him dropout altogether.

Oh, on his bio, it says he has 6 children, 2 daughters. Also 8 grandkids.

You beat me to it Tony, I was going to say that he hadn't pointed to a particular portion of his statement as to recant, he generalized. I love how they equate "I didn't mean to say that." with "I apologize." .....

Obviously the Republican Party Idiot Defense system is down and has been failing for the last few years... bugs like this one keep slipping through the cracks in the dead of night.

When 46% if the U.S. population believes that human beings were created in their present form, it's no surprise to me that we have "leaders" in government making these kind of ignorant statements.  They are part of that 46% and they were elected to office by voters who are also part of that 46%.  If our congress is anyway representative of the demographics of our citizens, that means almost half our elected officials are ignorant dumb-asses.  I think we clearly have seen that is the case time after time.

FA, its not only here, its everywhere. About 3-4 yrs. ago, I decided to broaden my news horizons. I started to watch British, Irish, Australian news feeds, since they were mostly english speaking. Then found some from Germany and Russia in english. I had hopes that my fellow humans in other places weren't quite as ignorant, mysoginistic, self-inflated, materialistic, ego-centric as we in America, but I was disappointed. Maybe not quite as bad as we were, but the nutters were just as loopy and were jusy as vociferous in their delusions as were ours. Dumb-asses indeed. We just seem to have more that consider their dumb-assery an asset, and the general public sheeple along, bleating. Compartmentilization and justification. Willing to overlook anything as long as he/she agrees with what is most important to the person casting the vote. I don't know how many times I've heard people say, I'm voting for A, because they believe in abortion/right to life, decriminilization/stronger drug laws, etc. One issue only. The rest of the issues seem to be of perepherial importance. The worst are the party voters. I vote Republican/Democratic only. Doesn't matter issues. Strictly a party man/woman. This is injecting an emotional response into a non-emotional situation. Also dogmatism. Both very dangerous.

We have the ability as humans to think, to reason, to rise above. We can learn, evolve, go beyond our stagnant, destructive delusions, to elevate ourselves and others in the process. Many in the past have, as do many now, and hopefully more in the future. Sorry my friend, got up on the box a little. Stepping down now. Be well, take care. 

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service