I just talked to a troubled lady this morning and she revealed to me that her long-time husband had died recently.  Then she added that he had cancer, and was given a 6 month prognosis 10 years ago.  She said she was so blessed because god had given her all those extra years.  She also said that the he really suffered for the second half of those years.

????????????????? ??

?!

Just wanted to vent and see how often you encounter crazy shit like this.

Views: 474

Replies to This Discussion

I said something reminiscent of that here after the tornadoes last year Shannon and you'd have thought I crucified Jesus myself! However, I agree wholeheartedly with you!

I'm still shaking my head over the death of the young man here wherein neighbors next door to where he lived, 'felt the grace of gawd watching over them through the storms'... I wonder was god on a coffee break when he that young man got killed while talking on the phone to his fiance?

This is why I keep to myself around here during tornado/hurricane season, Tammy. You know how these people in these parts are. All about gawd this, gawd that. Your house got torn to pieces? Well at least gawd didn't kill you! So what if you lost everything you owned in the storm!! It's maddening.

She can bless medical science for giving him those extra years.  Why would "god" favor him over any other cancer patient?  I live in the south so I hear these sorts of comments anytime I am out in public.  You are venting for me, too.  It is crazy making.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/flesh-eating-victim-aimee-copel...

Sad story, but after all she's been through, she feels blessed.

It's frightening the lengths of mental gymnastics they have to go through to compartmentalize this belief and protect it from all the striking evidence that their very natures and experience of the natural world are throwing at them. They do all this because they are assured suffering here will assure them a glorious life in some far away heaven.... how does one say to themselves, well then this life doesn't really matter and still think life a gift or blessing? I will never understand that.

IIRC, Pope John Paul II said after he was shot that Our Lady of Guadalupe or somewhere had guided the bullet wide of his major organs.  What a bitch!  She couldn't make it miss him entirely?

Craig

Nope.  And they still don't fully rely on her since they use the bullet-proof pope mobile.

To both you and Craigart....*SNERK!*

Under the xtian wording there is this attitude - now that I'm here I'll make the best of it - and that makes sense. I wonder how much is just the wording? Yes, a sad story. 

I agree with Steph.  We can roll our eyes, but people take it seriously and don't like anybody questioning it.  It's their coping method, and it works for them.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service