A Texas A&M climatologist has predicted a dire forecast for Texas over the next decade.

John Nielsen-Gammon said the state could remain in a drought until 2020 because of warmer temperatures in the Atlantic ocean and cooler temperatures in the northern Pacific Ocean.

Meteorologists with the National Weather Service in Fort Worth said they understand the science behind the theory but said there no way to predict weather that far into the future.

"It's hard to say over, like, a decade what's going to happen, but at least it looks like through early 2012 we're likely to see drier than average conditions, which just means more drought for Texas," said Dennis Cavanaugh of the NWS.

Farmers across North Texas have been watching their crops wither in dry weather. In some cases, they say it's hardly worth it to plant seed.

"I thought 2006 was dry. This has even been worse than that," said Charles Huddleston, who farms land in northern Collin County. "It's hard to justify putting that expense in the ground when you really don't have much prospect of it coming up."

North Texas has gotten so little rain that farmers are lucky to get 60 percent of what's planted.

And the North Texas Municipal Water District has already activated it's Stage 3 drought plan, significantly limiting outdoor watering for its 1.6 million customers.

Huddleston said there's simply no way to irrigate or haul enough water for farmland for crops or ranches for cattle. He said he's aware of a number of farmers who are thinking of simply giving up and selling their lands to developers.

"All we can do is put the seed in the ground and ask God to send the rain," he said.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/130825543.html

He is asking god to send the rain?  I guess they think a prayer rally will work?  Maybe a rain dance?

Views: 74

Replies to This Discussion

Because the last one worked so well.
So right!

Perhaps when the Texas economy collapses, a few people will begin to "get" climate change. Disaster isn't the way I'd like to see change occur. 

Let's hope the economy doesn't collapse.  I get the climate change.  There is a website devoted to it --here's a link.  I have been reading up on it. 

http://www.texasclimate.org/Home/tabid/256/Default.aspx

Welcome to the Texas Climate Initiative (TCI) a unique public resource dedicated to the advance of climate change science and education in Texas. Our goal is to have this website become an important resource for your "virtual" research and information needs on past, present, and future climate variability and change. We will review current scientific findings, policy strategies, and educational materials in a timely, credible, and comprehensible form. Special attention will be given to the risks and opportunities for Texas in the changing climate of the 21st century. A companion website, The Texas Climate News, will provide reporting and analysis of current news, opinion, and events.

The Texas Climate Initiative is a project of the Houston Advanced Research Center (HARC) and is directed by Robert Harriss. Sponsors include a generous grant from the Houston Endowment and funding from the HARC Endowment for Regional Sustainability Science.

On Monday I had to go out and pull a dead cow out of a mostly dried up pond.  She had gotten stuck in the deep mud that normally would have been part of the bottom of the pond.  She and her calf were dead.  God has such a great sense of humor, lol.

Wow -- that's terrible.
Horrible experiences like that really bring home the climate change debate to me. The dead calf makes it all the more sickening.
heh i guess god no like perry. mebe if they put up "Dear God, please piss on us" signs all over texas....
The changing climate in Texas, as well as elsewhere, is discussed in With Deaths of Forests, a Loss of Key Climate Protectors in relation to effects on forests. Justin Gills says that forests have been absorbing a quarter of our CO2 emissions. While some trees are growing faster due to the higher CO2, vast tracts around the world are in peril from insects and fire. Apparently the pace of change is taking everyone by surprise.

Thanks Ruth for the link to this information.  I am trying to learn all I can about climate change.

: )

Wildfire Update – October 5, 2011

Current situation: 

• Yesterday Texas Forest Service responded to 11 new fires for 1,047 acres, including a new large fire in Bastrop County.   
  • In the past seven days Texas Forest Service has responded to 104 fires for 5,731 acres. 
  • 251 of the 254 Texas counties are reporting burn bans.
  • Daily detailed fire information can be found here or at inciweb.org

New large fires from yesterday (more than 100 acres in timber, 300 acres in lighter fuels; or where homes were lost): 

OLD POTATO ROAD, Bastrop County.  1,000 acres, 25 percent contained.  50 homes threatened and evacuations are in occurring with structure protection in progress.  Multiple dozer task forces, heavy airtankers, helicopters, SEATs and an air attack are heavily engaged in suppression efforts.  This fire is burning in heavy fuels approximately 7 miles northeast of Bastrop. 

Uncontained fires from previous days (more than 100 acres in timber, 300 acres in lighter fuels):

SOUTH 104, Hardeman County.  3,700 acres, 90 percent contained.   Line construction and mop up continue.  This fire is burning 12 miles southwest of Quanah.

You can no longer make long term predictions of the weather. Weather patterns now are unpredictable. Too many people on the earth, millions of cars and Chinese factories spewing copious pollutants and carbon into the air. Fire,famine and floods will increase and chaos will ensue.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service