From Gary Smith:

There is a poll about whether the phrase "under God" belongs in the Pledge of Allegiance. Put in your two cents here. Scroll down - it's on the right-hand side.

Arizona Central News Poll

Tags: newspaper poll

Views: 200

Replies to This Discussion

I used to think we were home of the Braves, when I was a kid... never came up with one for the pledge, though.

"...four witches stand..."

"With Liver Treats..." (that's the canine version)

I just clicked my 6th "NO" vote...we're up to 30% now.

I still would like to know if any other countries outside the USA subject their schoolchildren (and public officials) to similar silly rituals every day.

I say no to The poll for "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance. As a group Americans need to act secular, otherwise we can get swept up in innumerable holy wars. I also told them to keep their gods to themselves.
Does anyone else here remember being forced to pray in public school? I was forced to pray as late as 1981 (5th grade for me) before every meal.
When I was a child, I spoke as a child and prayed as a child, but now that I am a man, I have put away childish things.
We had moments of silence where the spit would be slapped out of our mouths if we could be heard or seen by those (who got) nun(s). I unluckily went to Catholic Grammar school and Catholic High School. My dad footed the bill since my mom wanted us reared in the church. He never explained the treason to me but it seemed he thought he would have harmony at home if he gave mom what she wanted (Pretzel Logic springs to mind....).
We had moments of silence where the spit would be slapped out of our mouths if we could be heard or seen by those (who got) nun(s). I unluckily went to Catholic Grammar school and Catholic High School. My dad footed the bill since my mom wanted us reared in the church. He never explained the treason to me but it seemed he thought he would have harmony at home if he gave mom what she wanted (Pretzel Logic springs to mind....).
"Reared in church" is an unfortunate pun. ;)

Another small change from Bellamy's original poem was the change from "I pledge allegiance to MY flag....” to "I pledge allegiance to THE flag...”

hi jim - i see your smiling face all over the place.  it was my flag? that is really awful !!!!
But apparently it isn't your flag any more.  It gets harder to smle.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service