From Gary Smith:

There is a poll about whether the phrase "under God" belongs in the Pledge of Allegiance. Put in your two cents here. Scroll down - it's on the right-hand side.

Arizona Central News Poll

Tags: newspaper poll

Views: 208

Replies to This Discussion

In one word, NO!

In TWO words, HELL NO!

Those two words were added in 1954, the result of pressure from the Knights of Columbus, who wanted to distinguish the US from the "godless communists" of the then Soviet Union.  This is likely not news to most of us ... but then, we actually bother to look at the history of such things.

I note that the current voting level is 80% for keeping it to 16% against, which honestly doesn't surprise me.

I agree with Loren.  Well said.
I forgot to add that Billy Graham-cracker had a lot to do with adding the undergod, too. He was all buddy-buddy with Eisenhower.  It may have been the first time the evangelicals and Cat-licks cooperated in this country.
In fact it was the Bishops of the Roman Catholic Church that put the thumb screws to Eisenhower. Eisenhower didn't care. It was Richard Nixon, VP, that was tight with Billy Graham, my friend. "Ike" was a WWII pragmatist.
Oh.  Okay.  But the Graham-Cracker did have something to do with it, lobbying congress, or something.  At one point before the voting he held one of his disgusting series of arena shows in DC.
i second loren's comments!
or you could add "under the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Wodan and Nehalennia and the Flying Teapot and some more..
And leave out Ra and Anubis or Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, never mind Zeus, Hera, Apollo and Artemis?  HOW DARE YOU?!?  [smirk-smirk ... GUFFAW!!!]
Ahem!  You left out Bastet.  And Ceiling Cat/Basement Cat.  How could you?  Tsk-tsk. 

A.K.A. Bubastis?!?  Of course!

Meow, baby!

Purrrrrttttt! 

(I couldn't stop laughing at this one...don't know why...)

Wild Box Cats usually... ...liv in small herds.

And sometimes in closely knit groups:

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service