This is an appropriate day of the year for this subject...

What are some of your favorite winter holiday songs?

It would be especially good to share powerful new secular lyrics to tunes that have become associated with Christmas.

Tags: Christmas, HumanLight, Solstice, holiday, lyrics, music, reclaimed, reclaiming, singing, songs, More…winter holidays

Views: 983

Replies to This Discussion

"Flash Mobs" fascinate me.  I'd love to see how they put them together and rehearse them (the good ones) without tipping people off ahead of time.

I'm not at all fond of Bing Crosby, but this song was the theme music (opening and finale bow) of the show I skated with for nearly 4 years (I still love it...sort of like singing a college alma mater...):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k_q_UMI3tQ&list=RD2ODypHG57kQ

Attachments:

The Bing Crosby song is fun to watch, especially since he is a Spokane boy, but the picture I enjoy the most is Finale Hat!  I assume that is you, sk8eycat. Wonderful shot. Do you have any movies of your performances? 

No movies at all.  That was 1958 (my 19th birthday, actually...one of the other skaters did the photography at no charge as a gift), some of the other kids' parents made 8mm movies of the show when they'd come to visit, but I don't know who has them anymore.  I've never gone to any of the reunions, but I am still in touch with a couple of the "survivors," but they don't have any film.  Just stills.  That was a LONNNNG time before video.

We taped one number for some TV variety show in the summer of 1959; the tape was 3 inches wide, and the recorder itself was the size (and shape) of an executive's desk.

This is my all-time favorite costume...backstage in Peoria...there were three of us dressed as bears in a "circus" production number.  We got to climb over the footlights and walk around (on rubber matting) in the audience, handing out lollipops and just goofing around for a while.

Attachments:

And the Finale costume without the damn hat:

Untitled

sk8eycat these photos are lovely! Such dexterity! can you still lift a leg as high? And such a pretty face, and great figure! I am impressed indeed! The Bunny costume looks fun and I am sure the kiddos loved it when you gave them a treat! You must be very proud of your skilled experiences. 

Hah!  I spent 20+ years with such incredible sciatic pain before I had my lumbar spine repaired that I have NO leg muscles left.  I need a walker to go anywhere outside the house...no balance, either.  I have stenosis in my neck too...I think I talked about that in another thread...about my fear of having neck surgery again (had a rogue parathyroid removed 20 years ago...NOT fun!)

I was just one of the chorus line...24 girls and 12 boys.  I loved being an anonymous part of a team.  That circus number was the only one when I was part of a trio, and nobody could see my face inside that bear head.  Loved THAT, too!  Sometimes if there was a hunky-looking guy sitting in the front row, I'd sit in his lap for a few seconds.  Oh, la!  I had FUN!

But when I listen to ballet music, and other tunes that I like, I still skate or dance in my mind. I'll never lose that.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker 31 liked Andrew Bradford Hoke's video
6 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
6 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 commented on George Gordner III's video
9 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
12 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's photo
20 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
37 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
39 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Climate Concerns
46 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
47 minutes ago
Grinning Cat commented on Loren Miller's photo
54 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to James M. Martin's discussion Because Men and Women Had Shameful Same Sex Lusts, God Created Them as Gay and Lesbian (Please Pick Me Up Off the Floor When I Quit Laughing)
58 minutes ago
58 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service