This is an appropriate day of the year for this subject...

What are some of your favorite winter holiday songs?

It would be especially good to share powerful new secular lyrics to tunes that have become associated with Christmas.

Tags: Christmas, HumanLight, Solstice, holiday, lyrics, music, reclaimed, reclaiming, singing, songs, More…winter holidays

Views: 946

Replies to This Discussion

I like it! Thanks, Ian!

I like "It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year"

"Jingle Bells" Both sung by Andy Williams

A Flying Spaghetti Monster version of Carol of the Bells:

(h/t Idaho Spud who shared it on Atheist Humor)

Not seasonal, but still reclaimed: "Amazing Science" by Jaclyn Glenn.
(Her video features a very well done photo montage!)

Attachments:

How a 2012 string arrived in my Inbox I don't know, but I like the music recommended by each of you last years. 

Oh! Now I get it:

"Reply by Grinning Cat 19 hours ago

"Not seasonal, but still reclaimed: "Amazing Science" by Jaclyn Glenn.
(Her video features a very well done photo montage!)

"Attachments:

Thanks Grinning Cat. I like the melody and the new lyrics. 

A lively discussion is going on in "This year's Christmas music thread" -- a Tim Minchin song and much more!

At the Humanist Association of Greater Philadelphia's Winter Solstice and HumanLight celebration yesterday, the music included a few traditional folksongs and dance tunes that were borrowed much later for Christmas lyrics. "These tunes are still sung and danced to as traditional (secular) tunes, and we're taking them back!"

"Forest Green" (one of the tunes to "O Little Town of Bethlehem") came from the English folksong The Ploughboy, and/or from The Ploughboy's Dream.

"Masters in this Hall" (~1860) uses the tune "The Female Saylor" (1706) which quickly became a popular dance.

"Ding Dong Merrily on High" (1924) uses the tune of the Official Bransle (or Officer's Branle or Household Branle), recorded in Arbeau's dance collection Orchesographie in 1589.

We have to mention Dan Barker's "Solstice Tribute" ("O shining star of solstice time, your radiant hours are few..." to the tune of "O Little Town of Bethlehem"), which sk8eycat posted in "What do you do about Christmas?" (along with a specifically Humanist Jingle Bells).

I first discovered "Solstice Tribute" in Jerry Phillips' Humanist Hymnal.

More lyrics, many by Ruth Anthony-Gardner, at this page: http://home.alphalink.com.au/~jperkins/ContRAG.htm (part of John Perkins' Anthology of Humanist Songs)

"Blue Kazoo", a HumanLight song to the tune of "Jingle Bells"

The others aren't "winter/holiday" songs, but have strong secular humanistic themes:

"The God-Memes Fell Down" (by Valerie Triumph), ttto "The Irish Washerwoman"
"Let Those God-Memes Go", ttto "Go Down, Moses" ("Let My People Go")
"Make New Gods", ttto "If I Had a Hammer"
"We Sing Hello / We Sing Goodbye" (lyrics adapted by Bergen Woods), ttto "Shabbat Shalom"

An unusual performance...I won't say anything more...I don't want to spoil the surprise, but I DO love brass bands!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GMP08Ulqk

Lovely! 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service