You've seen the interview, right?  The one after that massive EF5 tornado that literally LEVELED Moore, Oklahoma, where Wolf Blitzer is interviewing a woman in the aftermath of that horror.  He asks her, probably thinking that this is bible belt territory and EVERYONE believes in god, if she feels as though she has to "thank the lord" and gets an answer he NEVER expected.

Well here, as Paul Harvey would say, is the REST of the story, told by Rebecca Vitsmun herself.  She describes what happened, what she was thinking and doing in the face of that seemingly impossible event, her clear desire to survive and to protect her son, her clear thinking even in the wake of that disaster, and most notably, her refusal to lie in response to Blitzer's specious question.

Here also is the beginning of something new and important: the organization of a secular support group, sponsoried by the Foundation Beyond Belief, which can provide aid and assistance after natural disasters, even as church groups have for years and years.  About. Damned. Time.

As for Rebecca ... they don't come tougher.

Tags: CNN, Rebecca Vitsmun, Wolf Blitzer, tornado

Views: 529

Replies to This Discussion

I can pretty much guarantee you that it ain't all fluff and appearance.  My daughter went to Elon University, majored in broadcast journalism, knows who Cronkite and Murrow and Rather were and respects them.  She's currently a news producer in Nashville who loves what she does and, I suspect, wishes she could do better.

But when the money men decide what goes on the air, that's what you put on the air ... IF you want to keep your job.

Exactly!  The money men want tabloid crap.  Maybe there should BE a channel just for gossip, UFOs, and speculation.  Oooops.  My mistake, there already is one FAUX.

It depresses me that the money men think crap will get higher ratings than real news.  And it depresses me that they are right...remember what happened to AIR America?  No audience.  Or the ratings companies aren't polling the right people.

*sigh*

Best wishes to your daughter; we need more people like her.

I liked that story.  I figured the cats would make it :) 

Would they have even MENTIONED the cats if they hadn't???

She might have.  I was half expecting a sad story with squashed cats.  

If the story had been told by the illogical religious, the Lord would have been praised for miraculously sparing those kitties, just as my illogical relatives praised the Lord today for providing them with Sunday dinner even though the same lord forgot to feed people in Syria.

Not to mention praising & worshipping something that just tried to kill off a whole community & the young baby it 'blessed'' them with a few months before!

After the Haitian earthquake, we heard about a woman throwing her bybull into one of the fires......seems she lost her faith.......

The Lard "forgets" to feed a LOT of people; more than 25% of AMERICAN children come to school so undernourished, or malnourished, that their brains aren't up to speed; they can't concentrate...and our fearless leaders keep cutting funding for nutrition programs for the youngest and most vulnerable whenever there's a budget "problem." (When a child's brain is growing the fastest, malnutrition can cause permanent damage.)

But they keep on feeding the Pentagon et cie even though we have no real militarily aggressive enemies anymore...except maybe North Korea  Maybe.  (And a lot of what we thought we knew about the late USSR's capability was crap.)

Loren, I am reposting on Twitter. This powerful piece says so much and touches deeply into the heart of what being an atheist involves. It is not an easy choice to be public about this, yet she reveals the courage, wisdom and fortitude it takes to stand in the bible belt and state her status. Thanks for the post. 

My question is, do you want me to post to Twitter from this site, or do you want to be left out of it? Or do you want to post yourself? 

I thought listening to her, I wouldn't have the same conflicts.  I would just tell Wolf Blitzer that I'm not religious - but I've never lived in the bible belt or had religious relatives who would Seriously Disapprove of me.  It makes my head spin to think that our supposedly so wonderful USA is like that in places. 

Joan, post it however you wanna post it.  I'm just letting the gang here at A|N know about Seth Andrews' excellent video, and throwing a thought or two of mine in on the side.

I have neither Twitter nor Facebook accounts, so rock it as you see fit!

Great lady.  Loved her answer to Wolfie.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service