Exercise Is Good for Your Waistline -- But It's a Writing Exercise

"How we feel about ourselves can have a big effect," Logel says. "We think it sort of kicks off a recursive process."

Many studies have found that even briefly thinking about values can have a big effect on situations where people feel a threat to their integrity.

"There's certainly no harm in taking time to reflect on important values and working activities you value into your daily life," Logel says. [emphasis mine]

Religions stuff values down believers throats, and emphasize limited self-affirmation that serves their propagation. In freeing ourselves from their influence, atheists often forget to replace those dysfunctional affirmations with authentic celebration of values we choose for ourselves. Let's start here and now. I propose we each compose a one paragraph essay for this discussion. An image wouldn't be a bad idea, if you have one that fits.

What is hour highest personal value? How does it influence your life?

Ruth Anthony-Gardner's highest value

My central aspiration, the organizing value that grounds me, is an ever-evolving Personal Theory of Everything. I strive for a grand consilience that includes human nature and the nature of reality. I need to imagine a possible path to human actualization in a better world, a transcendent future in the sense of transforming how we live with one another and the Earth. To this end I draw upon neurology, psychology, sociology, physics and other sciences, philosophy, complexity, constructal theory, memetics, anthropology, and media effects, integrating particular aspects of each with personal experience.

Tags: value affirmation

Views: 263

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know about an essay - I couldn't get through a whole lot of essays about personal values - but a quick idea - 

I value chivalry at the moment :)  I can't unfortunately see another more fully covered set of values that I support.  Unfortunate because I would hope that there would be more around the place.

Upon my honor,

1. I will develop my life for the greater good. 
  2. I will place character above riches, and concern for others above personal wealth. 
  3. I will never boast, but cherish humility instead. 
  4. I will speak the truth at all times, and forever keep my word. 
  5. I will defend those who cannot defend themselves. 
  6. I will honor and respect others, and refute inequality in all its guises. 
  7. I will uphold justice by being fair to all. 
  8. I will be faithful in love and loyal in friendship. 
  9. I will abhor scandals and gossip-neither partake nor delight in them. 
  10. I will be generous to the poor and to those who need help. 
  11. I will forgive when asked, that my own mistakes will be forgiven. 
  12. I will live my life with courtesy and honor from this day forward. 

How wonderful Alice! Nice website too!

I love the mission statement on that website Alice --

"Out of the shadows, we come as men of light, men of vision and men of honor — to replace what was lost, fix what was broken, and renew a pervasive conscience long considered dead.

That would sound better if it didn't include women as the invisible gender.

I thought the same thing Ruth -- just didn't say anything.

I like the fact that a bunch of men have got together and developed this code because it's not often that I see men who are introspective to personal self development - and if they need some exclusivity in that - go for it - we still have access to the site as women - and women have their own sites that deal with women's issues.... :)

As you may have noticed I did change the 6th 'I will' from women to others - so that it was less sexist and more holistic and relevant to my needs.

I visited the website Alice and also thought that was cool.

Please, Steph, say it. Maybe this way:

"Out of the shadows, we come as people of light, people of vision and people of honor — to replace what was lost, fix what was broken, and renew a pervasive conscience long considered dead."

Maybe another, but feel the difference.

That was the quote they used on the website Alice linked to. I like your revised version.

Tom - LOL - it does sound very supernatural doesn't it.....  still it maintains that romantic mystery of grandeur!

Steph - it's very romantic isn't it - something that I think is quite lost in today's fast and cynical world... :)

My personal values are as follows. However, My main personal value that I strive for is to be kind and respectful of everyone.

The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
Acceptance of one another and encouragement
A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process
The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

These values influence my life in that I am open-minded with other people. I try to give people the benefit of doubt when possible.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service