Judaism, Jewishness and everything you were never taught in school about it.

I've been hanging around for a while, and the amount of ignorance and misinformation abounding around Judaism, Jewishness (not the same thing), and Israel just astounds me.

Because we are an ethnic group that just happens to have a religion attached to it (much like the Japanese) it is entirely possible to be a Jewish atheist -- and I don't think I'm the only one here, although it seems to me that others may be unwilling to come out, because of the rampant hostility that I have seen expressed against us.

I think that this hostility comes from ex-Christians truly not understanding the difference between the definition of a Christian and a Jew, much less the profound cultural differences that exist. Americans in general, which mostly means Christians, haven't a clue about Jewish history, nor approaches to philosophy, nor how we have evolved, nor our world-view. 

So I have a lot of topics in my head to write about -- but I'm also VERY interested in genuine questioning, just so some of you can understand before you attack.

Views: 853

Replies to This Discussion

good recent video on a similar topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtrZOq-DmuU

Dawkins interview Atheist Rabii

Hi Nathalie. Just as there may be found a certain amount of dogma remaining amongst disavowed Christians, it shouldn't be represented that other religious order members can escape such blind spots when they evolve. The only chance a person has to be free of mysticism is the regular and timely evaluation of currently employed decision trees on some kind of cogent rational criterion across the full facets of being and interaction.

My mom's MD was affiliated with Cincinnati's Jewish Hospital. I was born there, and guess what.

I'm in my my thirties when she tells me that when she brought me home I didn't trust anyone.

I knew the reason, and was soon telling people the reason for circumcision is to prepare boys to go into business, where trust is unwise.

When we get past the anti-semitism and the accusations of anti-semitism, this will be a most informative thread.

If they circumcised you against your parents' will, then that was a violation of your religious freedom. Are you sure your mother didn't give permission?

As far as not trusting anyone, I REALLY doubt that's the reason, because there are way too many circumcised men in the Jewish and Muslim communities, not to speak of Christians who were circumcised when it was thought to be the healthiest thing to do for the baby, who have no problem with trust. Good business is BASED on trust -- you can't really do business otherwise. Unless you are accusing all circumcised men of cheating in business.

You don't even remember your circumcision, and your mistrustfulness is something you were born to have.

Their circumcising me without first informing me and getting my consent (both of these were impossible) violated my freedom. I had no religion then and no religious freedom to violate.

My mother didn't tell me. Did they do the cutting before she recovered from the "hell" of giving birth? Decades later she said a baby is heaven going in and hell coming out.

The justifications I've heard are too tradition-serving to accept.

Good business BASED on trust? Natalie, you either haven't been in business or you have a unique definition of "based on".

Born to have mistrust? Natalie, that's fiction, or dogma. It's also unprovable.

- - - - -

I appreciate your OTHER efforts on this thread.

Natalie, adding to my reply to your "Good business is BASED on trust...."

If you had studied business law, even the introductory course I studied, you would know that business is done with a fear of punishment always in the parties' minds. For evidence, read a typical contract between two businesses, especially the clauses on breach of contract.

Brilliant - thank you for offering the opportunity to educate us.

Free expression is really the only way to expression ignorant views than can then be corrected - if we never express it - we just act on our prejudice without being able to examine it.

I'm all up for discussing this subject, but under one condition-that we discuss food!  As you folks may or may not know, I'm ALL about food!  I've tried kosher baked chicken twice now (according to the recipe on the back of the kosher salt box).  It was delicious (and surprisingly bland considering the fact that it is baked while being totally encased in salt).  In fact, that is what keeps it so moist (who knew?!).  Baking it with a pierced lemon and some thyme inside the cavity makes it much more tasty-any other advice on how I could liven up the dish, while still keeping true to the culture that invented this recipe (whether that would be the semitic culture, or the Jewish culture, or the Hebrew culture--or whatever you wish to refer to it as) would be greatly appreciated.

BTW  Are there any major differences between how different cultures of Jews prepare their food?  I know that it has to observe the same food laws, but I assume that there are still variations on style that are permitted within the context of kosher requirements.

don't you think you're being taken for a ride by the salt manufacturers!  I suppose back near the red sea no one was short of salt - we've got al foil now - have to done a comparison?

THAT's a very distinct possibility.  After all those Hebrews are known for their marketing skills.  But still, it is fun to excavate the chicken from the salt.  Kosher salt is very coarse and when you bake a chicken in it, you drizzle the top of the salt with water-just enough that it forms a rock-like crust.  When you take the chicken out of it, you are left with a cast of the chicken.  It reminds me, somewhat, of those life-casts made from the victims of Mt. Vesuvius in Pompei-so it's fun to do anyway.

And anything that is fun is worth doing at least twice.

BTW  I'm also just an overgrown kid!

sounds cool!

So it's okay to put meat and cheese together?  Cool.  I was never really clear on that one.

RSS

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service