I used to think that it was OK for me not to believe in God, but others need to believe or society will collapse. Crazy huh? Just one level in my becoming a pain in the ass. By the way, I just bought the book "How to Become a Really Good Pain in the Ass: A Critical Thinker's Guide to Asking the Right Questions". It's over in the ad section on the right side here. Anyway, Has anyone thought that too, and what other levels did you go through, if any, to get to your current non-belief status? One more. For a while I was sort of depressed at the thought that there might not be a creator of everything, even though I didn't believe in God. It's late, sorry if I'm getting confusing.

Views: 60

Replies to This Discussion

"...but others need to believe or society will collapse. Crazy huh?"

Not at all crazy, A3Kr0n.

A sociologist years ago opened my naive eyes when he told me that religions serve governments as alternate police forces.

When I started reading political history, I saw an explanation: "The first purpose of government is to make large numbers of people governable."

Some believers try to frighten doubters with, "Without God, everything is allowed."

I reply, "Oh, the sheriff no longer has keys to the jail?"

It's been a long struggle for me to face the fact that I am an atheist, since 1975.  One time I was working in a factory and I was giving a theist a rough time explaining his beliefs and he asked me, "If you don't believe in god, why aren't you out there robbing and killing people?".  I just replied, "If belief in god is the only thing keeping you from doing such things, I'm very happy that you are a believer."  He never argued with me after that.

That's a very good reply!

God, the keeper of human conscience. Actually, the conscience works far better if the fetters of belief in Him are broken.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Freethinker31 replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
4 minutes ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
17 minutes ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
35 minutes ago
Daniel W replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Gardening in central Texas "pan" soil in the group Godless in the garden
42 minutes ago
42 minutes ago
Leon Gretsky replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
44 minutes ago
Deidre posted a status
"Happy holidays to all of you here! :)"
47 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
51 minutes ago
52 minutes ago
Leon Gretsky replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
53 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
53 minutes ago
Daniel W commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
57 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service