I just ran onto this YouTube video, promoting a change.org petition aimed at amending the United Nations charter supporting the abolition of all anti-blasphemy laws.

The petition referenced by the video is here.  I've just signed it myself, and I would urge you to do the same.

Tags: UN, United Nations, anti-blasphemy laws, petition

Views: 97

Replies to This Discussion

Signed.

Likewise. Signed.

Signed, also. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!

The petition asks the UN to amend the language in the UN Charter in several places that specifies "human rights and ... fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to... religion", but does not explicitly protect the nonreligious. (Emphases mine.)

Article 13

1. The General Assembly shall initiate studies and make recommendations for the purpose of: [...] b. promoting international co-operation in the economic, social, cultural, educational, and health fields, and assisting in the realization of human rights and fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion.

Article 55

With a view to the creation of conditions of stability and well-being which are necessary for peaceful and friendly relations among nations based on respect for the principle of equal rights and self-determination of peoples, the United Nations shall promote: [...] c. universal respect for, and observance of, human rights and fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion.

Article 76

The basic objectives of the trusteeship system, in accordance with the Purposes of the United Nations laid down in Article 1 of the present Charter, shall be: [...] c. to encourage respect for human rights and for fundamental freedoms for all without distinction as to race, sex, language, or religion, and to encourage recognition of the interdependence of the peoples of the world; [...]

It also seeks to strengthen the provisions on freedom of religion and freedom of expression in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The ICCPR has not been ratified by some two dozen UN members, including Brunei, China, Malaysia, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and United Arab Emirates, which is why changing the charter is necessary. (Again, emphases are mine.)

Article 18

[...] 3. Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs may be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary to protect public safety, order, health, or morals or the fundamental rights and freedoms of others.
[...]

Article 19

1. Everyone shall have the right to hold opinions without interference.

2. Everyone shall have the right to freedom of expression; this right shall include freedom to seek, receive and impart information and ideas of all kinds, regardless of frontiers, either orally, in writing or in print, in the form of art, or through any other media of his choice.

3. The exercise of the rights provided for in paragraph 2 of this article carries with it special duties and responsibilities. It may therefore be subject to certain restrictions, but these shall only be such as are provided by law and are necessary:

(a) For respect of the rights or reputations of others;

(b) For the protection of national security or of public order (ordre public), or of public health or morals.

Signed. Thanks for the extra info, Grinning Cat!

Signed.

I tried to sign the petition, and only got to "Ruth" when it flashed away and said "signed". When I tried to go back, I couldn't sign correctly, because it claimed I'd already signed.

You BROKE the petition?!?  Shame on you!!!  [chuckle!]

Just seen it, and signed by Terry

Just seen it and signed.

Terry

Oh boy! I would be in deep caca del toro in Islamic hands, as would a lot of thinking people worldwide. It is time for such legislation. 

Signed. Thanks. 

Caca del toro?!?  That's a real goodie, Joan!  [chuckle!]

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service