Susan Weinschenk, aka The Brain Lady, brings up readability. Does your Atheist Nexus blog expect readers to have a college degree? An online tool to assess the Reading Score for your sample text is at Readability Index Calculator.

100 Things You Should Know About People: #54 — The Average Reading ...

The most common formula for calculating the readability of a particular passage of text is the Flesch-Kincaid method. The method gives you a Reading Ease formula and also a reading grade level score.

The formula to calculate how readable your text is:

Reading Score Formula

Flesch-Kincaid Reading Score Formula

The higher the score the easier the passage is to read. Low scores mean the passage is hard to read.

For the reading ease score, higher is better. Comic books are at 90, and legal documents are often 10 and under.

So if your text is higher than 8 on readability, you expect an above average audience.

My sample, the introduction to Hang With Friends, got

Flesch-Kincaid Grade level: 11.
Flesch-Kincaid Reading Ease score: 44.

The Flesch-Kincaid Grade level indicates the grade a person will have to have reached to be able to understand the text. E.g. a grade level of 7 means that a seventh grader will be able to understand the text.

Therefore I unconsciously expected Hang With Friends folk to have at least an 11th grade education. Reading ease seemed to be in the middle, which is probably OK.

Tags: reading

Views: 92

Replies to This Discussion

oops replied to the wrong comment LOL

I bookmarked both! Looks like you've been a busy blogger!

LOL yep! I love to write. Thinking of starting a kickstarter project to fund a writing career.

I see people link those on Diaspora all the time, they do pretty well sometimes!

Yeah, I am checking out just what is eligible. It would fund a move to NYC near publishers, and living expenses,etc.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service