We don't belong to any book clubs, but we do a considerable amount of reading or listening to audio books.  Since we live on a 44 foot sailboat, we don't have a lot of room, so we have just recently purchased a Kindle, and love it!  I think though we need two of them as we are wrangling over who gets to use it next.  We read a wide range of fiction and non-fiction, classics, mysteries, historical novels, thrillers, adventure, etc.  Nothing is out of range.

So let's talk books.  Have we read some of the same?  What would you recommend to read or stay away from?

Roz's Legend (HR - have read, IP -in progress, R -resource/reference, NY - Not Yet)

Rating (*****Loved it!, ****Liked it, ***Ok, **Not so much, * Ugh)

Here are some books currently on our bookshelf:

Good without God by Greg Epstein, HR****

Godless by Dan Barker, HR*****

Don't Believe Everything you Think by Thomas Kida, IP-***

The Atheist's Bible - Joan Konner - HR, R****

Asimov's Guide to the Bible, Isaac Asimove, IP, R ***

God Made Man (Kindle) - Barbara G. Walker, IP ****

On the fiction side:

Anna Karenina (Kindle) by Tolstoy, HR** (Just finished.  Know it's a classic, but geez it was slow for me to read.  All of the people are so tortured, particularly the non-believers. I could have saves a lot of time by reading the summary on Wikapedia.  What did you think?)

Devine Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood (Kindle), HR, ****

The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (Kindle), Stieg Larsson, IP.  (Russ has read the whole series ***** and really enjoyed them)

One for the Money, etc.....by Janet Evanovich, HR, IP ***** I love these sassy, bounty hunter stories featuring Stephanie Plum.  I started with number one and am on number 8.  I just started reading them on Kindle.  The characters are quirky.  I love Grandma Mazur.  She reminds me of Sophia on the Golden Girls.  I love a book that makes me laugh aloud.

Other authors we really enjoy....Robin Cook, Michael Crichton, John LesCroart, John Grisham, Ken Follett (Pillars of the Earth HR***** and World without End HR *****), Jean Auel. I just got the last of the Jean Auel Earths Children books and am looking forward to reading it. I enjoyed "reading" - listening" to the others on audio.  It will be a different experience reading this next one on the Kindle.   Has anyone read this yet?   We have several of these authors on audio books and listen together. It's a great way to spend the evening while on night watch.   Stephen King and Dean Koontz give us nightmares! 

Your turn!

Tags: atheist, books, bookshelf, library

Views: 476

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing Ian. Roz

Just finished Barbara Ehrenreich's "Bright-sided". A sharp and logical attack on Positive Thinking that also disects its origins in/connection to religion. Although it deals exclusively with America I can confirm that the PT infection/memeplex has crossed the Atlantic and the Noth Sea.

Never more will I say "I may be up to my neck in shit but at least I don't have to wipe my arse".

Just recently on Facebook I pushed the "like" button on some inspirational and positve thinking wall photos, only to find myself deluged in a daily flood of quotes, photos and positive thoughts. For a while, this was okay as it was a counter balance for some of the more ascerbic subscriptions I get. Some of the positive stuff seemed incredibly self-serving and delusional, but so did some of the more ascerbic stuff. I hid (almost) all of them. I do have Bright- Sided on my list. Thanks.
I've done a lot of reading in the last year. Thought it might be a good time to refresh this discussion. I need some new recommendatioms. Thank you for all your recommendations from last year. I read a lot of the books that were suggested in this discussion, and some I randomly found on exchange bookshelves.

Just finished The Hunger Games Trilogy*****and couldn't put them down. Have not yet seen the movie. Anybody see it who read the book? How was it?

Also read Phillip Pullman's Dark materials, Golden Compass, Subtle Knife, and Amber Spyglass****, Inside Scientology*****, Sam Harris's, The Moral Landscape ***, The Secret Lives of Bees*****' three of Bill Bryson's book ( A Walk in the Woods ****In Sunburnt Coumtry (reread)*** Im a Stranger here Myself****' Tree Grows in Brooklyn ***' Catherine Coulter's FBI Thrillers ****' Suzanne Colllins The Dark Queen Trilogy****' , Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosenay*****. I'm still working on Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese, but it just doesn't keep my interest. I keep hoping Ill get hooked, but I've picked it up and put it down a half dozen times reading other things in between

So what have you been reading? Would you recommend it? Hope to hear from you. Thanks

At present I am reading 'The Grand Design' by Stephen Hawking (very good****), the 'Game of Thrones' series by George R.R. Martin (fantastic series*****) and the latest book by Charles Frazier who wrote Cold Mountain, called 'Thirteen Moons,' I just started it so I can't really comment yet, it starts out well.

I'm horrible for having a book going on the reader which I take with me and having a book in the living room, one in each bathroom and sometimes even one by the bed.  I broke a toe carrying a book around from room to room, so I no longer read and walk, or text and walk, I can still chew gum and walk mostly without incident! *wink*

Same problem. I've got 3 going right now. Eventually they'll all get read..... 

I've not read anything by Stephen Hawking. He's so brilliant. Does he write in terms that not so brilliant people can grasp?

A Brief History of Time is very accessible and rather enjoyable.  I went through it perhaps a year ago.

Yes, it's as if he's having a conversation with a friend, he's very enjoyable to read.

I'm working on a couple at the moment, on and off:

• George Szell, A Life In Music, by Michael Charry.  This is a considerable interest of mine, as my home is Cleveland and I have been listening to The Cleveland Orchestra one way or another for over half my life and subscribed to a six-concert series since 1985.  Considering Szell was singularly responsible for lifting TCO to world-class status and was revered as a musical genius though sometimes reviled as an egotistic martinet, it's rather a fascinating read.
  • The Moose That Roared: The Story of Jay Ward, Bill Scott, a Flying Squirrel, and a Talking Moose, by Keith Scott.  I have gotten one of the world's biggest kicks out of "moose and squirrel" since I first ran onto them and their adventures back in the late 50's.  A light, fun read.

I'll have to find a hard copy of the moose as it doesn't seem to be a Kindle offering. Loved Rocky and Bullwinkle, so will ad to my wishlist. Thank you for the recommendation.

Just finished "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer.  A very good look at Mormon fundamentalism, current polygamist sects in Canada, the US and Mexico, along with a history of Mormonism from the time of Joseph Smith to the present.  The story centers around two brothers, Ron and Dan Lafferty, who murdered their sister-in-law and 15 month old niece based upon a personal revelation from god; personal revelations being a hallmark of Mormonism.

P.S. - Thanks Loren. I'm looking into "The Moose That Roared." Always loved Rocky and Bullwinkle.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service