I have been severely sleep deprived for a number of years, & cancer treatment didn't help it at all when I had to deal with that.

I have now been ''officially'' diagnosed but have bad reactions to prescription meds & don't know what else to try. So far I do the same routine rituals, bath, cool quiet room, ''sleep music'', hot milk, hot milk with brandy, chamomile tea, herbal valerian, melatonin, etc.

The dr. says I need a minimum of 6-8 hours straight solid sleep per 24 hours, but the most I can ever get is 2-4 of restless non-refreshing sleep, which after 10+ years is definitely not enough. Fibromyalgia contributes to the non-refreshing part.

Has anyone ever successfully solved this issue?

Views: 364

Replies to This Discussion

One of my routines when I have trouble sleeping is meditation; a calm concentration on my breathing. You don't have to breathe differently, just bring your attention back to your breathing everytime your thoughts wander away. No harm in trying it - but I'm afraid it's at best only a part of the solution.

Thanks......seems a good place to try to begin......

That helps me Chris.  And the relaxition technique when you focus on relaxing your muscles one at a time.  From the top of your head to your toes.  Same idea as the breathing but focus on the muscles relaxing.

I have a friend who has trouble sleeping on account of years of alcohol abuse.  He uses marijuana to sleep.  Some cannot sleep when high but it puts him to bed.  Try that.

Thanks, but marijuana is not in my vocabulary....

James,That works for me.

I completely sympathize with you. I've had similar sleeping issues for about 10 years now. I use ambian nightly and it is the only thing I've found that works for me. I have not asked my doctor about medical marijuana but get if it works why not.

As I said, marijuana is not in my vocabulary. I have never tried anything like that & will not. Chemo therapy left me with lung sensitivity issues as it is without adding to them. I quit smoking cigarettes 20 years ago, & do not intend to start smoking anything ever again.

I had the equivalent of Ambien here in Canada & reacted very badly, as I do with many meds. I have Ativan now but it is highly addictive so I certainly don't want to use it very often, not to mention the hangover from them as well.

I am now researching the sleeptracks cd system because I don't want to drug myself.

I have Hashimoto's and I've had periods of hyperthyroidism because of it.  The hyperthyroidism causes a pattern of insomnia where I may go to sleep fine (at 10:x pm) but I wake up in the early morning hours, often hungry. 

I read that thyroid hormones peak about 3 am so I think that's why this pattern of insomnia. 

When it was really bad I would lie awake all night, with colorful visions wheeling around me in the dark, and crash in the morning. 

Severe hyperthyroidism is very unpleasant! 

People commonly have more trouble sleeping as they get older.  

There's treatment for hyperthyroidism. Isn't your particular type susceptible to Medical treatment? My father-in-law had a radioactive treatment that decreased his thyroid function and thereafter used thyroid supplements to maintain proper hormone levels.

Hashimoto's is different from Graves disease.  For Graves disease they use a radioactive treatment. 

Hashimoto's causes hypothyroidism most of the time.  But there may be short hyperthyroid phases, lasting about a week, when the thyroid dumps stored-up thyroid hormone into the blood.  This is called hashitoxicosis

I was very severely hyperthyroid, eating about twice my usual calories and still losing weight - mostly muscle loss - and all sorts of other weird symptoms - anxiety, heart palpitations, hand tremor etc. The skin on my palms and the bottoms of my feet sloughed off, almost like socks or gloves.  I never found that symptom listed online as a hyperthyroid symptom, but apparently it was because my skin was growing so fast from all the thyroid hormone.  It was very strange. 

All one normally needs to do is live through it, unless it's very very bad. 

The weird thing is, the more dramatic hyperthyroid phases happened when I was taking T3 (liothyronine) - in addition to the usual T4 (levothyroxine=Synthroid).  It felt like the T3 hormone was triggering hyperthyroid phases somehow.  But I never found any confirmation for this idea online and I don't know why T3 would do this.  It built up slowly over weeks, until I was in a crisis. 

Ouch. Guess that doesn't work. Thanks for the explanation.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service