What's next?

Views: 40

Replies to This Discussion

You're kidding, right?  Here I thought the answer was intuitively obvious:

yeah -- prices are going up -- way up!

Fact is, they were up over $4.00 a gallon something over a year ago, so it's not as though we're back at those levels YET.  I guess the question at this point is: how stupid is Ahmadinejad willing to be in fooling around with the US Fifth Fleet in the Persian Gulf and how aggressive are the Israelis willing to be in attempting to thwart Iran's attempts to develop a nuclear device?

Don't go looking to me for answers, either!  I'm an engineer, not a political scientist!

Currently, gas prices are around $1.09 per litre, in my area of Alberta.  That's over $4 per imperial gallon, and about $4 per US gallon.  Some places are cheaper, some higher.  Out of the cities, there is no effective mass transit of any sort, and even Greyhound has cut all passenger service to my area.  Cars and trucks are the only way to get anywhere, so we are captive consumers.

On the other hand, because the demand for fuel is so high, everyone involved in the oil patch is working full out!  This doesn't mean just the drilling rigs, rig haulers (like me), and the like, but also all areas of manufacturing.

So, here in the Canadian oil patch country, high gas prices mean lots of work, low prices mean lots of unemployment, and no matter what the price is, we have to pay it!

I recall paying just over a dollar per gallon for gasoline in W. Massachusetts twenty years ago, but I was also paying about $1.29 for a jar of mustard or mayonnaise. Those same jars of condiments now sell for about $4 each. It seems to me that we're really paying about the same or slightly more for gasoline nowadays than we did back then. We're not really witnessing higher gasoline prices, so much as the erosion of the U.S. dollar through excessive government spending.

I'm presently retired and only go out once a week, so gas prices don't have much of an effect on me. If I want to go to the local variety store, however, which is about half a mile away, I take a walk.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service