An association between the amount of fruit and vegetables people ate and their happiness? Yes indeed. People who ate 7 portions of fruits and/or vegetables a day were the happiest.

Fruits and Vegetables: Seven-A-Day for Happiness and Mental Health

Happiness and mental health are highest among people who eat seven portions of fruit and vegetables a day, according to a new report.

They found mental wellbeing appeared to rise with the number of daily portions of fruit and vegetables people consumed. Wellbeing peaked at seven portions a day.

The study does not distinguish among different kinds of fruits and vegetables and it defines a portion as approximately 80 grams.

... much remained to be learned about cause-and-effect and about the possible mechanisms...

I'm game. Let's see if I can eat seven 80 gram portions of vegetable matter daily for a week, and if I'm happier. For sure I won't be constipated. My gram scale will get some use. Maybe just paying so much attention to diet takes your mind off of your problems.

Tags: diet, fruit, happiness, vegetables

Views: 130

Replies to This Discussion

I have been on Paleo diet (with some small changes) since January, so I am at about that intake of fruit and vegetables. I feel wonderful about it and wouldn't change this lifestyle for anything - I worry less, even if I'm very busy; I'm more energetic; less prone to depression; viruses and infections can get me of course but I'm better in a third of the time. 

Trying this will be a pleasant surprise for you Ruth! Perhaps you'd better eat less bread, cheese and milk, or you won't be able to eat the vegetables.   

I am doing the Paleo Diet too - I feel much better.

Makes sense, I noticed I get cranky and feel blah when I haven't eaten my greens for a couple of days. 

I've been a vegan for some time for purely heart-health reasons (i.e. not for animal rights) and I will say that I did feel a noticeable change in my energy levels within 2 weeks of the change.  I am a strong proponent of a vegan diet ... but mostly for people with health issues.  

So perhaps I should give the 7 servings a day a two week trial.

I've been vegan for over 4 years now and I'm definitely healthier AND happier!  If I'm feeling off, like I'm getting a cold I make sure I get even moredark leafy greens than usual.  I became vegan for health reasons but after reading up on the subject I'm in it for the animals and the environment as well.  Since I don't think humans are something other than animals (or were given domain over them by the great sky fairy), I can no longer imagine killing or enslaving them for my own selfish purposes.  Since I don't NEED animal products to be healthy...I haveno reason to use them.  I tell people I am a "whole food vegan" to distinguishfrom people who eat vegan junk food and are purely animal rights activists.  Oreos are technically vegan and you can eat a crappy vegan diet based on processed "mock meats" and sweets.  I focus on the all important vegetable.  Especially dark leafy greens.  I eat fruits, vegetables, beans/legumes, and whole grains most of the time.  I DO have an occasional vegan cupcake (just as fattening as a regular one) from a local vegan bakery.  I used to weigh 230 lbs and was on BP meds.  Now I'm off all medication and down to 153.  And I feel GREAT!!

Have you started already, Ruth? How do you feel?

I couldn't keep up 7 servings per day, due to my IBS.

BTW, while seven servings might make one happier, it only takes five per day to be healthier.

Five daily portions of fruit and vegetables may be enough to lower ...

Eating five daily portions of fruit and vegetables is associated with a lower risk of death from any cause, particularly from cardiovascular disease, but beyond five portions appears to have no further effect, finds a new study.

I'm still trying to find my way back to normal life after the heavy work for brother-in-law. I've been far to busy to mind my diet, ate whatever we could find on the run.

But now I enjoy the fruit smoothies for breakfast once more and I'm looking forward to regular meals with 90% vegetables and a little protein.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service