An association between the amount of fruit and vegetables people ate and their happiness? Yes indeed. People who ate 7 portions of fruits and/or vegetables a day were the happiest.

Fruits and Vegetables: Seven-A-Day for Happiness and Mental Health

Happiness and mental health are highest among people who eat seven portions of fruit and vegetables a day, according to a new report.

They found mental wellbeing appeared to rise with the number of daily portions of fruit and vegetables people consumed. Wellbeing peaked at seven portions a day.

The study does not distinguish among different kinds of fruits and vegetables and it defines a portion as approximately 80 grams.

... much remained to be learned about cause-and-effect and about the possible mechanisms...

I'm game. Let's see if I can eat seven 80 gram portions of vegetable matter daily for a week, and if I'm happier. For sure I won't be constipated. My gram scale will get some use. Maybe just paying so much attention to diet takes your mind off of your problems.

Tags: diet, fruit, happiness, vegetables

Views: 95

Replies to This Discussion

I have been on Paleo diet (with some small changes) since January, so I am at about that intake of fruit and vegetables. I feel wonderful about it and wouldn't change this lifestyle for anything - I worry less, even if I'm very busy; I'm more energetic; less prone to depression; viruses and infections can get me of course but I'm better in a third of the time. 

Trying this will be a pleasant surprise for you Ruth! Perhaps you'd better eat less bread, cheese and milk, or you won't be able to eat the vegetables.   

I am doing the Paleo Diet too - I feel much better.

Makes sense, I noticed I get cranky and feel blah when I haven't eaten my greens for a couple of days. 

I've been a vegan for some time for purely heart-health reasons (i.e. not for animal rights) and I will say that I did feel a noticeable change in my energy levels within 2 weeks of the change.  I am a strong proponent of a vegan diet ... but mostly for people with health issues.  

So perhaps I should give the 7 servings a day a two week trial.

I've been vegan for over 4 years now and I'm definitely healthier AND happier!  If I'm feeling off, like I'm getting a cold I make sure I get even moredark leafy greens than usual.  I became vegan for health reasons but after reading up on the subject I'm in it for the animals and the environment as well.  Since I don't think humans are something other than animals (or were given domain over them by the great sky fairy), I can no longer imagine killing or enslaving them for my own selfish purposes.  Since I don't NEED animal products to be healthy...I haveno reason to use them.  I tell people I am a "whole food vegan" to distinguishfrom people who eat vegan junk food and are purely animal rights activists.  Oreos are technically vegan and you can eat a crappy vegan diet based on processed "mock meats" and sweets.  I focus on the all important vegetable.  Especially dark leafy greens.  I eat fruits, vegetables, beans/legumes, and whole grains most of the time.  I DO have an occasional vegan cupcake (just as fattening as a regular one) from a local vegan bakery.  I used to weigh 230 lbs and was on BP meds.  Now I'm off all medication and down to 153.  And I feel GREAT!!

Have you started already, Ruth? How do you feel?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service