Social jetlag is "a syndrome related to the mismatch between the body's internal clock and the realities of our daily schedules." The article focuses on consequent sleep loss. I have a mismatch between my internal schedule and the world, staying up till 2AM on the internet and then sleeping late. How about you?

Feeling Tired? 'Social Jetlag' Poses Obesity Health Hazard, Study S...

"It concerns an increasing discrepancy between the daily timing of the physiological clock and the social clock. As a result of this social jetlag, people are chronically sleep-deprived. They are also more likely to smoke and drink more alcohol and caffeine. Now, we show that social jetlag also contributes to obesity; the plot that social jetlag is really bad for our health is thickening."

Tags: social jet lag

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

Yes exactly Ruth! I am doing the same thing. I've been staying up to 2 am or 3 am and I can still get up by 8 or 9 am. I'm a natural night owl. Getting up in the morning is harder though. I still do it. I was really sleep deprived during finals.
Oh and yes sleep deprivation leads to weight gain.

Night-shift worker me, so I know the feeling. Easy to replace sleep with sugar. But what the hell, I wouldn't swap nights for days especially now staffing levels have been cut to the bone and beyond. Funny thing is, when I'm off work I'm a real early to bed and early to rise type. I enjoy the peace and quiet of an early morning.

Me three!

I am fortunate to have high flexibility in my working hours, even though it's an office-job with a large employer.  Even so, I find myself sashaying into the office about 2 hours after most other workers, and leaving several hours later.  There is something deeply unseemly about returning home in the evening before sunset - even in midsummer!

The same thing happens when I travel overseas, adapting to the local time zone.  At first my hours are highly irregular, but after 3-4 days  I settle into a late-morning late-evening routine.

Maybe there is something to the idea of a 25-hour natural body clock?  If this is true, then we keep pushing our hours until later and later, before we run into hard constraints such as necessity to be somewhere on-time in the morning.  We go to bed later and later, suffering from diminished sleep... until sleepiness takes over, pulling back our bedtime.  Equilibrium is reached with 2am bedtime and 8:30 am waking time.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service