So I've been thinking about this some lately, and I wanted to see what your thoughts were:

I read a novel last fall that was making the rounds of Atheist blogs and what not called "Christian Nation", which is part alternative history and part cautionary tale. It supposes that John McCain and Sarah Palin had been elected in 2008; not long afterwards, McCain dies in Russia during a state visit of a massive cerebral hemmorage and Palin takes over.

She proves to the nation what folks in Alaska figured out; she's got no business anywhere near public office. But a terrorist attack gives her and Christian reconstructionists the opening they need, and she imposes martial law. Eventually, Palin and her cohorts eventually turn the nation into a "Christian Nation", establishing the plans of Rushdoony and others - Christian Reconstructionism, Seven Mountains Dominion, et.al. 

Personally, I found the book to be a modern-day version of Sinclair Lewis' "It Can't Happen Here". What I'd like to know is - have you read the book yourself, and if you did, what did you think of it.

Without a doubt, it was truly frightening what these extremist Christians would do to our nation if we don't keep standing up to them.

Views: 137

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks very much for the tip on this one, Brent. I had not heard of this book, and alternate history is one of my favorite genres. I look forward to finding this one so I can read it.

My pleasure Jeff. =)  It's been out for about a year now, IIRC - it was making the rounds of the atheist blogosphere when it came out - so, if nothing else, it should still be available at your local bookstore or on-line somewhere. Haven't heard of a paperback version of it yet though.

Seems to me I saw an excerpt of Christian Nation somewhere (maybe elsewhere on A|N).  Certainly, it was scary, but then, the very fact that Sarah Palin is involved in politics could scare anyone out of three years' growth!

And I suspect that may be at least a portion of what lost John McCain the 2008 election.  The very fact that he was then and is now a man in not the best of health and she would have been a heart attack or stroke away from being the leader of the free world.  Consciously or unconsciously, that had to be on a few people's minds - even Republicans!  I have to believe it was a factor, and just as well.

That said, the New Apostolic Reformation is still out there and still determined to turn the US into exactly what is outlined in that book.  One thing that stands between them and that goal is US.

Three years' growth?!? *LOL* You win the A/N Understatement of the Month award!!!

I wasn't that aware of McCain's health, but it wouldn't surprise me either. And it's just as well too.

Come to think of it, theo-cons like those who advocate the NAR are the subject of this week's BRUTALLY HONEST commentary by my buddy David 2. I've already posted it on Water Cooler, but here is it for everyone here to look at and comment on if you wish: http://brutallyhonestcolumn.blogspot.com/2014/04/week-of-04282014.html

Thanks for the link.

I read another explanation of why conservative politicians keep pushing religion, in the South especially. The voters have already lost their feeling of agency, like learned helplessness. They don't even try to secure their rights or protect themselves from exploitation. Feeling totally powerless politically, they've retreated to two figments of personal power, religion and guns. Right wing politicians know this and exploit it. By submitting unconstitutional Christian fundamentalist legislation they make their castrated constituents feel "validated".

image source (unrelated)

Haven't read it. Sounds like quite a horror story.

Thanks for reading David's commentary Ruth. I can see where you're coming from re: Southeastern religion and politics.

Yeah, "Christian Nation" is a horror story in a way. But as I mentioned, to me, it's a modern-day version of the Sinclair Lewis classic "It Can't Happen Here", which I read at the same time I was reading "Christian Nation". Both of them were almost frighteningly accurate about what was (and is) going on.

I never read it , Brent, but we never were a christian nation. Our desire should be to see that christians do not get some special hold in government. They certainly want to, and also think that they should have. That's because they think we are a christian nation.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service