I was cat-sitting for a few days for a friend who has no computer (doesn't want one), and when I got home, the following was waiting in my InBox (along with 90 other e-mails, but I think this is important.):

CREDO: According to Media Matters, just this week, Angie's List, which stopped advertising on the Rush Limbaugh Show in March, became the first major company to resume advertising after Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a "slut" and a "prostitute."

Since we launched our campaign targeting advertisers on the Rush Limbaugh Show, over 140 advertisers dropped their support of the Show, and Premiere Radio suspended all national advertising on the show for two weeks.

But, now that Angie's List has resumed advertising, other advertisers could join ranks and start supporting the Rush Limbaugh Show again.

That's why it's incredibly important for us to respond quickly and forcefully so Angie's List, and other corporations who might be thinking of resuming advertising on the show, know that we won't stand by as corporations resume their support of Rush Limbaugh and his sexist comments.

Unfortunately, what Rush Limbaugh says matters. He has a bigger audience than any other commercial radio host in the country, and what he talks about on air has the power to drive the Republican agenda — an agenda that is already obsessed with radical backslides of women's ability to protect their own health.

Sandra Fluke's testimony before Congress included important points about why access to affordable birth control is so crucial, including the story of a friend who had lost an ovary because she couldn't afford the birth control needed to manage her ovarian cysts.

Rush's unforgivable translation of that was "slut" and "prostitute." Sandra Fluke rightly has called Rush Limbaugh's comments "an attack on all women." We agree.

Every American enjoys the right to free speech, but that doesn't mean that advertisers who are accountable to their customers should pay people like Rush Limbaugh who make such appallingly hateful and sexist comments.

Angie's List needs to hear from us loud and clear — if you advertise on Rush Limbaugh, you are supporting his reprehensible attacks on women. And other advertisers thinking about resuming their support of this program need to know that we won't let them quietly begin supporting such hateful and sexist rhetoric.

Tell Angie's List: Immediately and permanently end your support of Rush Limbaugh. Click here to automatically sign the petition.

In the fight against the Susan G. Komen Foundation we proved that when women and the men who support them fight back against those who would restrict women's access to healthcare, we can win. And MSNBC's firing of commentator Pat Buchanan after a campaign protesting his white supremacist rhetoric shows that there will be consequences when certain lines are crossed.

Rush Limbaugh has a long history of hateful rhetoric. But with his comments about Sandra Fluke, Rush Limbaugh has crossed the line at a moment when women, and the men who believe in equal rights for women, are more organized than ever and are ready to fight back.

Tell Angie's List: Immediately and permanently end your support of Rush Limbaugh. Click here to automatically sign the petition.

We will not let the rightwing take away women's access to birth control. We will not let Republicans brand women who assert their right to health care as "sluts" and "prostitutes."

Take action to stop the escalating attacks on women and hold Rush Limbaugh and the Republican message machine accountable.

If you click on the link you might get a petition with my name already on it, but there will be another link for "not me" and you can sign the petition there...and sign up with CREDO, if you want to.  I think it's a very good, resposible org., myself.  And they won't spam you.

Views: 93

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, I signed  the petition, and added a note.

I never understood Angie's list because you can get free reviews.  But I;ll sign anyway.

Just sent them a warning in the petition. We're members, but we won't be for long if they continue this support.

Thanks to you who have signed so far.

I still want to slap everyone (mostly men) who continue to perpetuate the myth that ALL women who use contraceptives are a) single and b) wildly promiscuous.  Judging by some of Mr. Limbo's comments and behavior in the past, his imaginary "slut" seems to be what he secretly lusts after.

BTW...As far as I know, nobody says, "Please pass a law forbidding [whatever] so I won't do it anymore!"

I will sign. Thanks for the post!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo posted blog posts
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Human Genome 45,000 years old reconstructed in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Future commented on Čenek Sekavec's blog post What is your favorite bible verse?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Human Genome 45,000 years old reconstructed
1 hour ago
jlaz replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago
jlaz replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
sk8eycat commented on Former Pastor's blog post Divorcing The Church
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
booklover replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
1 hour ago
booklover replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service