Chicken Jerky for pets associated with 2,200 reports of pet illnesses - UNDETERMINED by FDA

Herky Jerky - UNDETERMINED

"In response to reports of illnesses in pets associated with the consumption of jerky pet treats, over the past several years the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued several advisories to consumers: one in  one in  one in  and another in  For example, an FDA advisory released on 14 September 2012 stated that:

"Since 2007, the FDA has become aware of increasing numbers of illnesses in pets associated with the consumption of jerky pet treats. The majority of complaints involve chicken jerky (treats, tenders, and strips), but others include duck, sweet potato, and treats where chicken or duck jerky is wrapped around dried fruits, sweet potatoes, or yams. 

"The FDA has received approximately 2,200 reports of pet illnesses which may be related to consumption of the jerky treats. The majority of the complaints involve dogs, but cats also have been affected. Over the past  the reports have contained information on  deaths and one feline death. There does not appear to be a geographic pattern to the case reports. Cases have been reported from all  and  provinces in the past 

However, the FDA still has not established a causative link between pet illness and the consumption of jerky treats, stating that although they "continue to receive complaints of dogs experiencing illness that their owners or veterinarians associate with consumption of chicken jerky products ... to date, scientists have not been able to determine a definitive cause for the reported illnesses":

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/chickenjerky.asp#5bTtOylDwb...

• The FDA says it's received reports of thousands of pets getting sick
  • Official: "This is one of the most elusive and mysterious outbreaks we've encountered"
  • Sick pets mostly ate a chicken jerky or duck jerky treat or a jerky-wrapped treat
  • The FDA says most of the treats involved were made in China

FDA to vets: Watch out for jerky pet treats; some linked to illness...

Again we have an example of food being suspect in illness and deaths and FDA is "Undetermined".

It only makes sense to me to suspend use of the suspected products until and unless a determination of being SAFE ... IF long term tests are conducted. The tests are expensive and take time. The rat tests used to declare GMOs are safe for human and animal consumption only use 90 day tests and tumors do not appear until after 90 days. 

I found no Snopes articles about GMOs. 

Views: 78

Replies to This Discussion

China ... AGAIN.  Anyone here remember when, after problems were found with ... what was it, baby food or some other product ... that the Chinese were using ANTI-FREEZE - ethylene glycol - in FOODS!!!  I remember hearing that years ago and thought I had heard it all.  I'm willing to wager that someone in the PRC still thinks that no one notices when such agents are used, even in foodstuffs for pets.

I am the owner of four cats, animals I think the world of ... and woe be to anyone who thinks they could save a few bucks by making a switch in their food processing and threaten Morris or Boo or Garfield ... or even Sadie.

They'll be in need of medical assistance ... for removing my boot from their ass!

baby food or some other product ... that the Chinese were using ANTI-FREEZE - ethylene glycol - in FOODS!!!

Are you talking about the Chinese scandal when melamine was added to milk and infant formula?  Some people were executed for that.  The melamine has nitrogen so they could sell it as having more protein than it had. 

The Chinese weren't adding antifreeze, except some got in accidentally at one time. 

Luara, here are the most recent citations I found:

chicken jerky for pets recall

Jerky treat mystery: Nearly 600 pets dead; still no source, FDA says

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/pet-jerky-treat-mystery-nearly-600-an...

Why are jerky treats killing pets? FDA asks for help

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/23/pets-deadly-je...

FDA continues investigation into pet deaths

http://www.fox23news.com/news/local/story/FDA-continues-investigati...

Joan,

I was responding to Loren talking about the Chinese putting antifreeze into food.  Apparently he was misremembering the famous 2008 melamine scandal.  Melamine is also dangerous. 

I haven't forgotten the Mad Cow Disease - I worked hard to get more info but got no real answers. I still can't prove anything but I'm sure all the diseased parts go straight into animal food. And that's only one threat. We watch over our cats, but they're in constant danger - as we are. I'll keep Luna and Dido happy and healthy as best as I can but I know that it's only temporary.

Marion Nestle, who's a nutrition and public health professor at NYU, wrote Pet Food Politics and Feed Your Pet Right.  She has a good science-based perspective, and she's also very critical of the food industry.  She writes a food politics blog.  I read Feed Your Pet Right and it seemed like sensible advice. 

She ended up concluding that the pet food industry is doing a useful service, in using byproducts of human meat production, which would otherwise have to be disposed of somehow.  If you buy pet food that truly uses human-grade ingredients this wouldn't apply, but most of it doesn't. 

I don't think the pet food makers would get away with immediately dangerous ingredients for long, this particular alert is a case in point.  A few pets are damaged each time, but there are millions of cats and dogs in the USA - so yours is unlikely to be among them. 

Also, the pet food industry is probably only using part of the meat-industry byproducts, and the cost of raw materials is only a small part of the cost of the end product.  So pet food makers probably have little incentive to cheat on ingredients. 

Just wait until the Transpacific Trade Partnership  (TTP) and what will be allowed in the US food supply to say nothing of pet foods.  TTP has been referred to NAFTA on steroids.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
5 minutes ago
Joseph Corder replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Chimp-on-chimp murder. Humans are not the only violent species.
28 minutes ago
Loren Miller added a discussion to the group Atheist News
35 minutes ago
Luara replied to Travis Hedglin's discussion Whats the deal with feminism?
48 minutes ago
Luara replied to MattyLJ's discussion Moving to Florida
1 hour ago
Joseph Corder posted photos
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
1 hour ago
"Doing the NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) Walk this morning, a nice 3-mile jaunt. I'll let you know how it goes."
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Shaun Johnston's discussion Critical review of Darwin's "Origin..." 6th edition posted in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service