"Add another quote, and make it a gallon"-Captain Spaulding (aka Groucho Marx)

Just pondering, what quotes,sayings, words of wisdom, pearls of great price, inspire you? We all know words can hurt, can degrade, cause damage. But what does it for you, the ones you hold dear, go back to, apply to you reason for continuing this quest we call life? They can be funny, (as Groucho in above header), goosebump causing, non-sequitor, cause you to well up each time you hear them, yes even derogatory, self effacing, whatever. But what I'm really looking for is that spark from that quote, that saying, that feeling that you can't describe. One of mine is from the comic strip 'Pogo' wherein he says " We has met the enemy, and he is us". I know this has been said by others in different ways, but this basically distills it down for me. From Gandi,  "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it". I like that. Anyway, any qoute, saying from any source  even( gasp, the horror)religious. Remember, any source. Oh and don't forget the source of some of the greatest sayings of all, anonymous, or as I like to say "common sense from the common people". Thanks.

Views: 456

Replies to This Discussion

Roy, I think that might be from the almighty anonymous. Sounds like him.

Often, the prolific Anonymous was actually "her".

Anonymous was a woman
(Fred R. Shapiro, Yale Alumni Magazine, January/February 2011)

Your favorite famous quotation: was it by Voltaire? Yogi Berra? Or some woman you’ve never heard of? Many of the great quotesmiths have been women who are now forgotten or whose wit and wisdom are erroneously credited to more-famous men.

Man, great link to the article. I truly enjoyed it. Thanks.

If you never make mistakes, you're not trying hard enough.

Life may not be the party we hoped for but, while we are here we might as well dance

"if God really existed, it would be necessary to abolish Him." Mikhail Bakunin

I'm a big fan of Douglas Hofstadter, this has been one of my favorite quotes for a while.

“How gullible are you? Is your gullibility located in some "gullibility center" in your brain? Could a neurosurgeon reach in and perform some delicate operation to lower your gullibility, otherwise leaving you alone? If you believe this, you are pretty gullible, and should perhaps consider such an operation.”

The opposite of skeptical is gullible.
-- Anon.

Richard, total non-sequitor here, but it reminds me of a saying I heard growing up when somebody was particularily stupid, gullible, or just plain stubborn. Always said in a sweet, straight forward way, with a smile. "We'll isn't that special". And always from some kindly, older southern woman.

Dana Carvey used to say that as "The Church Lady" on SNL. it was Epic. Showing my age here.

Yeah, Jason. But I actually got to hear it from live, little old ladies. Something about those old southern ladies. You knew you had been insulted, but couldn't quite figure it out. Not when I was 8 yrs. old anyway. Thanks, dude.

How true, my friend. How true. Great stuff here. Thanks.

Where there is doubt, there is freedom.

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo shared their discussion on Twitter
26 minutes ago
Joan Denoo added a discussion to the group Eco-Logical: A Group for Environmentalists
26 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to roland707's discussion Are known atheists more likely to be convicted of violent crimes?
42 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to roland707's discussion Are known atheists more likely to be convicted of violent crimes?
46 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Deidre32's blog post Pascal's Wager -- Your Fate is a Crapshoot
53 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Steph S.'s discussion As An Atheist Can Your Life Have Purpose and Meaning?
54 minutes ago
Plinius replied to roland707's discussion Are known atheists more likely to be convicted of violent crimes?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Sentient Biped's discussion DNA testing gives more history of paleo-Eskimos in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo liked Sentient Biped's discussion DNA testing gives more history of paleo-Eskimos
2 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to roland707's discussion Are known atheists more likely to be convicted of violent crimes?
2 hours ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark commented on Deidre32's blog post Pascal's Wager -- Your Fate is a Crapshoot
2 hours ago
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service