We don't usually discuss politics much here, but this is so bizarre you'd think it's a twisted satire instead history. Well the original did appear in Punch. It soundslike a conspiracy theory. But then Mormon history smacks you up side the head.

What Happens If We Wake Up With a Mormon in the White House?

Also in the title: What Joseph Smith's Run for President Suggests About Mitt Romney

According to a controversial Joseph Smith prophecy, when America degenerates to the point where “the Constitution hangs by a thread” -- and most TV pundits agree we’re there already -- at this time, a Mormon will be elected President of the United States, triggering a whole series of disaster-film plot twists: the end of the world as we know it; the overthrow of “gentile” ruleand the long-promised Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Only, instead of teleporting Himself somewhere interesting like Jerusalem, say the Mormons, Jesus will stage his comeback in Independence, Missouri.

Let me put it another way. Mitt Romney was raised to believe that if Mitt Romney is elected president, Mitt Romney will rule the world (or whatever is left of it) as the Mormon gods’ Viceroy, while Jesus Christ stumbles through tornado country, making crop circles in a corn field, or whatever it is you do there.

...Christing told me he believes Romney has taken a secret oath pledging his loyalty first and foremost to his church:...the Oath of Consecration, where he consecrates his money, his time, his talents. His whole life, really....To me, the interesting thing is that the oath of consecration is specifically directed to the Mormon church (not God)." [emphasis mine]

Tags: Joseph Smith, Mormon Presidential prophecy

Views: 552

Replies to This Discussion

I wish I had followed my instincts in 2000, when the Supremes handed the keys to the White House to a front man for Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove and all the others who worked for Bush the 1st.  I could have sold this house for 3/4 of a gigabuck and emigrated to British Columbia, but my sister an I are co-trustees of this property, and she wouldn't hear of it. 

Can't do it now, the value of the house has slipped considerably since the mortgage collapse, and I'm living on Social Security and a few odd typing jobs. My sister gets a little SSI because she's never been on anybody's payroll... ever...mildly autistic, or Aspie.  I don't know which; she's also a J's Witless, and they don't believe in neuro-psych.  Naturally.

A friend of mine who has both an MBA and a law degree emigrated to Auckland, NZ, and set up a business there.  She loves it (and I think they love her), but it took her almost 4 years to go through all the legal formalities and relocate.

Some other friends have bought "retirement" property in Costa Rica.

If Romney gets in (I'm not going to say "is elected"), I expect a lot of people will be looking for somewhere else to live.  Maybe Castro will drop dead soon, and Cuba will need skilled workers, managers, and teachers to rebuild.

Who knows?

I feel the same Sk8eycat, tired because no one cares about anything outside their own lives. The solidarity between people has been destroyed and now everyone is alone.

Must have been the wonderful examples we get all the time: the morals of churchleaders and politicians who only want power, sex and money no matter what or who gets destroyed in the process, the mindless drivel the tv wants to feed us: we're numb. I fear it's a problem that is global now.

The one thing we can do is very smallscale: make people aware that we care by living the way we chose. By taking care of neighbours, stray cats and whatever else comes our way.

@ Sk8eycat - I must say I was reading posts from another fellow on here who had moved to Costa Rica and it has hung in the back of my mind the cost of living was so low. We do have friends in France who have offered us shelter there if this place becomes completely intolerable, they're as worried as we are that we are slowly becoming a theocracy.

@Chris - I couldn't agree more, I know more people than I ever did, or should I say I'm acquainted with more people than I'd have ever thought possible, but most of my RL friends live in other states and I end up feeling exceedingly lonely these days. We moved back here to be closer to my parents and to help take care of their needs but our neighbors... and some of them are relatives mind you, are mad as hatters, fundamentalist to the core, so you can forget having a sense of community. What is sometimes humorous, is that some are Pentecostal and others are Baptists and then some of the friends of the family are JW, so when they are forced to share a room together it's fun for an old  unbeliever to watch! LOL Is that terrible of me? I have to find joy somewhere!

As to the stray cats, I have the odd collection of stray Ravens, Buzzards, a Cardinal that I saved from a cat (he had knocked himself silly on a clean window and the cat was sneaking up on him) he feels safe and so he still hangs out and every now and again strafes me, a stray cat that someone put out of her home, I assume because she'd had kittens. I'm an all day long sucker, I'll feed any and all of them who show up hungry and my dog is just jealous!

War is also based on lies and viciousness. Read Chris Hedges War is a Force That Gives Life Meaning for a real eye opener on the psychological/social/political dynamics of war. You were too young to see the lies of omission in WWII. In war average citizens are constantly bombarded with propaganda and all of the issues are reduced to black and white. It's easy for everyone to get involved, and those who don't suffer heavy sanctions.

Our situation requires more effort from people to inform themselves and there aren't easy quick fix answers. The economics and politics can seem overwhelmingly complex to folks with two jobs, an underwater mortgage, inadequate health insurance, and three kids. I don't think it's as easy as a little quick research to figure out who's lying. With Faux news, misleading internet sites, and comments posted by paid public opinion manipulators posing as 30 or 40 citizens, it can be an information jungle. Public education doesn't prepare people to navigate this maze, and private education is usually part of the problem.

Thanks I will check that out, I read him via Common Dreams all the time.

What you're saying about public education here, I have become of the opinion that the failure to teach civics and critical thinking is part of some darker plan to keep the public at large 'barefoot and pregnant' as they say, I hate to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but now it's out there and I'm not gonna edit comment ;). I yam what I yam...

Read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 - all about the need to misinform or uninform people...

;)

I like the anagram: R MONEY

Okay, I know the following was written by Obama's campaign staff, but it's a description of something that happend at a public event, so it would have been difficult to invent it (I bolded one section):

On Monday, the Supreme Court struck down key provisions of S.B. 1070, Arizona's extreme immigration law, while upholding the controversial and worrisome "papers please" provision.

You need to know how Mitt Romney reacted.

Given 15 minutes and nearly 20 straightforward questions, the Romney campaign couldn't articulate a single, coherent position on the Arizona immigration law or the Supreme Court ruling.

Later, when he was no longer able to keep evading questions, Governor Romney criticized the Supreme Court's decision to strike portions of the Arizona law, which he previously called a model for the nation, and confirmed once again that, when it comes to immigration, he's the most extreme presidential nominee of our time.

Doesn't he know what to think until his staff tells him?  This man has done a complete 180 from positions and policies that he favored when he was governor of Massachusetts.  What's going on here?  Does he lack a mind of his own, or is sucking up to the extreme right wing more important than his own integrity?  Has he always been like this? Or.....is his church cracking down on him and telling him to "straighten up and fly right" or he'll be excommunicated?

Curioser and curioser.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service