The 2012 Democratic National Platform doesn't mention "God" at all. This is a change from the 2008 mention of people's "God-given potential", and a contrast from the ten mentions in the 2012 Republican platform.

David Silverman, president of American Atheists, said the exclusion of "God" in the Democrats' document was a step forward in including non-religious Americans in the official party stance.

"We are obviously happy that the Democrats are taking these positive steps," Silverman wrote. "We are looking for the inclusion of everyone and we are hopeful that that inclusion will continue to the point that we can depend on Mr. Obama to repeal the faith based initiatives and reinforce the separation of church and state."

"It comes as a pleasant surprise," he added. "It is something that we have been pushing for and is certainly a positive step. But it is only one step and I would like to see action more than words."

'God' also absent from Democrats' platform, CNN (emphasis added)

Despite the section on "faith", which includes...

... We believe in constitutionally sound, evidence-based partnerships with faith-based and other non-profit organizations to serve those in need and advance our shared interests. There is no conflict between supporting faith-based institutions and respecting our Constitution ....

...cue right-wing Christianist outrage in 3, 2, 1, ...

Tags: 2012 Democratic National Platform, 2012 Democratic Party Platform, Democratic Party, politics, separation of church and state

Views: 1832

Replies to This Discussion

Truly amazing news.  If the GOP were so bold as to do the same thing, I might have hope for that party's returning to sanity.  In the current political climate, however, I don't see it happening and not for the foreseeable future, either.  The republicans remain in the firm grasp of right-wing christian religiosity, and I really don't know what it's going to take to free them from it.

I think the white christian wrong-wingnuts are now the GOP's core constituency.  Everybody else is beginning to be fed up with them, and they're finally getting it through their heads that the Bushes and the Romneys are cloned from a place where they've never had to mix with anybody outside their class.

I just don't understand what's taken them so long.

The only thing that will free the GOP from the fundie vote is enough votes in the other direction.  The GOP is for any group that can bring them a large enough voting block.  They even put in their platform that you could purchase as many ammunition clips as you wished.  Why would this be in a platform?

To secure the radical NRA vote? 

Just what America needs, more bullets.

YHWH has always made his followers do his dirty work for him.

Hey Loren, did you know your Nexus comment was quoted on CNN.com? Thanks for the traffic boost. :-) http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/09/06/conventions-leave-atheists...

Very cool, Loren!

Isn't that wonderful Brother Richard! He's Mr. Popular now! Loren made a discussion on his celebrity - we are very proud of him.

I just finished watching a video of Tammy Duckworth's speech (I missed it last night), and moisture was forming in my eyes...until she finished by "god-blessing" everything in sight.  I wish politicians would find some other way to say "Hooray for us!"  because that's what they really mean when they start blessing....

She's worth watching, anyway. I hope she wins.:

Last night, Iraq war veteran and Illinois congressional candidate Tammy Duckworth revved the crowd with her speech. If you missed it, you can watch here: http://to.pbs.org/R92VUz

I saw both Ms. Duckworth and her speech and was mightily impressed, especially with the fact that she made NO effort to pretty up her prosthetics for her appearance.

That lady is tough stuff and no mistake.

Well, I suppose it was inevitable.

The language is back in.  I heard as much on the CBS Evening News, not an hour ago.  It would seem as though people are determined to have their politics with a side of myth and superstition.  Meantime we're stuck with the old political shuffle - two steps forward, one step back.

One good thing: Elizabeth Warren speaks tonight, and I for one look forward to what she has to say.

Do you recall exactly what they added?  Or has there been time enough for it to be Google-able? (I'm not always this lazy, but it's been a freaky day here...had to call somebody to come get rid of about 4 or 5 smallish wasps nests, and bugs of any kind make me crazy.)

I love this!

"... people are determined to have their politics with a side of myth and superstition."

Add a thimblefull of wine and a single cracker to that order, please, waiter.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service