Posted this at the meeting site. We would certainly welcome participation from anyone in the Atheist Community

That's right. I have responsibility for the UUCG (Unitarian Universalist) Service on August 2 this year. It would be great if folks from GUST (and the greater Freethought community) would help. They have a committee which selects topics for the next few months, and yesterday my proposal was
accepted.

UU's are big on incorporating bits of differing religious traditions into their personal theologies (World views). The theme of this service is going to be "Incorporating a Bit of Atheism, into your personal theology". That's also the working title for now.

The description I wrote for it was:
The service will provide a little background on the “new” Atheism 101 as an introduction but focus primarily on suggestions as to how components of this belief system might be incorporated within an individual’s personal theology.
Although our congregation is accepting and open to those without god-beliefs, this world view is not well understood. Atheism can be much more than just an appreciation for science and reason. Sometimes it’s seen that Atheists are just people who are missing something, not people with anything worthwhile to add. Hopefully this service will help bridge a better understanding and possibly help some within our congregation see how a little bit of “atheistic” thought (and I mean much more than science and reason) might enrich their personal theology (even for heavily theistic personal theologies).

What can you do?

1) Plan on showing up to give support by your presence (since I know you can't help by praying for
me or beaming positive energy).
2) Be involved in the service (maybe read a quote, short reading, kids story, etc.)
3) Help with suggestions for the service (ideas, quotes, songs, story/lesson for the kids,).

The service is going to be respectful of those with theological/supernatural beliefs, but it will be true to our materialistic perspective. (No woo, or myth mixed in.) I'll share more of my perspectives on the positive impacts a little bit of atheism might add as we get closer.

I also had some proposals for other services which were well received, so there are future opportunities. For this first one, please think about coming, helping, voicing encouragement. Email me or tack on to this thread.

Thanks,
Russ

Tags: Atheist, Atlanta, Service, Sunday, UUCG

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the support, sorry for the slow reply.

Typically kids (above diapers) start out in the service and after the opening and then a story or other they go back to the classrooms. In the summer they don't have classes most of the time.

Some Sundays the services are called inter-generational and themed for all ages.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service