Godless in the garden

Information

Godless in the garden

Welcome to gardeners, growers of veggies, fruits, flowers, and trees!  

 

Welcome  backyard hen enthusiasts, worm farmers, beekeepers & composters!

Location: Planet Earth
Members: 167
Latest Activity: 1 hour ago

Welcome to Eden!

If you like to dig in the dirt, plant & prune, grow food & flowers, or sit and watch as someone else does your landscaping, you'll find something here to discuss!

Selected topics, in no particular order:
Moon Phase Widget here. Moon phase topic here.
What's your gardening style?
Frugal gardening.
Backyard Chickens here. here. here. here.
Growing Fruits
Wild Parsnip - It can burn skin.
Why buy locally-grown plants?
Squirrels.
bees.
Cheap gardening.
Buy locally grown plants to prevent blight transmission here.
Grow lots of fruits in a small space, by backyard orchard culture.

Discussion Forum

What the heck is hugelkultur? How does it save water?

Started by Joan Denoo. Last reply by Sentient Biped 20 hours ago. 6 Replies

Permaculture Transformation In 90 Days

Started by Joan Denoo. Last reply by Joan Denoo on Wednesday. 2 Replies

Backyard Organic Garden

Started by Joan Denoo Aug 26. 0 Replies

Sugar Baby

Started by Don. Last reply by Don Aug 24. 11 Replies

Evans Bali cherry

Started by Don. Last reply by Don Aug 24. 4 Replies

Asparagus

Started by Čenek Sekavec. Last reply by Idaho Spud Aug 23. 4 Replies

Some pictures from my garden

Started by Steph S.. Last reply by Joan Denoo Jul 26. 7 Replies

The Next Green Revolution May Rely on Microbes

Started by Joan Denoo. Last reply by Sentient Biped Jun 30. 2 Replies

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Godless in the garden to add comments!

Comment by Don on August 26, 2014 at 7:29am

Cabbages, peppers, melons.

Comment by Don on August 26, 2014 at 7:19am

Wonderful, Patricia!  This time of the year when I visit the supermarket, I really like skipping the whole produce aisle.

Comment by Idaho Spud on August 26, 2014 at 5:46am

That's great Patricia! 

Comment by Patricia on August 25, 2014 at 5:49pm

Sink full of peppers, & this is #5! I am washing, cutting, & freezing like mad & my husband is sharing with 3 neighbor houses as well. The best crop ever!

Comment by Randall Smith on August 25, 2014 at 7:32am

Don, probably 80% of my persimmons go to "waste". With the other 20%, I eat, freeze whole, and make paste. (There's an unintended rhyme there! Now to throw in a sentence with the word "taste".)

Fortunately, persimmons hang on the tree well into winter, extending the eating season a long time.

Daniel, patience! I started my trees from seeds.

Comment by Don on August 24, 2014 at 8:54am

What do you do with all of your persimmons? 

Comment by Sentient Biped on August 24, 2014 at 8:52am

Randall, some day I may have loaded persimmon trees too.  I have two - one is Saijo, listed as most likely to bear in my cool climate, and the other is an unusual asian/american hybrid from Ukraine, "Nikita's Gift".  both established well this year, with Saijo now about 7 feet tall and Nikita growing from a little twig to maybe 4 feet tall.  I can hope.

 

No American persimmons though.  I would consider one if there was a variety with male and female grafted onto the same tree, but two trees and not knowing if I will ever eat the fruit is a stretch.  Especially with paw paws that I may never get to eat, either.

Comment by Don on August 24, 2014 at 8:22am

Corn will mature at a predictable rate following pollination.  If the plantings were close enough to one another so that they could all tassel out within a couple weeks of each other and so be pollinated when ready, they'd mature together.

Comment by Idaho Spud on August 24, 2014 at 8:00am

Gardening is mysterious Randy.  Perhaps the corn maturing at nearly the same time is because the ones planted after it was warmer, grew faster and matured faster.

Comment by Randall Smith on August 24, 2014 at 7:13am

Speaking of loaded branches, one of my two fruit bearing persimmon trees has an overabundance of the honey colored gems. Limbs are drooping and, I'm afraid, will begin breaking off. I've already had to prop up the whole tree with a 2 by 6 15' board. And the strange thing is, the other tree has just a few persimmons on it. I have no explanation.

It's like my sweet corn: I staggered plantings 5 weeks apart, but the whole plot seemed to mature at nearly the same time. Another mystery of nature.

 

Members (167)

 
 
 

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

 

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

 

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service