In my yard, the Asiatic lilies are finishing, while trumpet lilies and oriental lilies are just opening up.  Nasturtiums, volunteer, are blooming all over in odd places.  Roses are past their prime.  Crocosmia are just starting. 

Oriental Lily. This was sold as Lilium rubrum, but I think it's a hybrid.
A pink Asiatic lily, one of the few not past its prime. Unknown hybrid.
I'm not good about saving the names.
This shallow planter covers the top of a wall that leaked that water into the basement. I built the planter from scrap wood and installed drains that direct water away from the house. It's been filled with Sedums and Sempervivums, which are great, durable, dry / sun tolerant plants. This year I wanted some color and noted some random Pansies were blooming in the box - volunteers from elsewhere on the deck - so poked in a dozen or so small violas. Those are commonly called "Johnnie Jump Up" and grow wild here, but these were from the local big orange home improvement store. Some watering and dilute Miracle Grow, and here we are.

Tags: Blooming, Godless in the garden, Green Roof, lilies

Views: 102

Replies to This Discussion

Everything is so pretty in your garden! You do have a green thumb.

I finished cutting peony and iris blossoms off today, had a bumper crop of strawberries and ate the first raspberries a couple of days ago. Monarda blossoms started opening today, mallow is in full bloom, all herb seeds in pots sprouted nicely, hollyhock is about 4' with lots of buds. The birds enjoy their morning seeds and take long baths afterwards. Skinny-tail Squirrel arrived for the first time this morning; he looks a little like a rat with his sparse tail hairs.  

We've had lots of rain and cool weather; today it got into the 90°.

Joan, Thank you.  I think it takes a brown thumb (dirt under the fingernails) to have a green one :)  Your garden sounds beautiful too, natural and wild.  Your iris and peony season is later than mine - the better to enjoy the flowers later.  I just went out to feed the birds.

Wow! What a beautiful garden! I'm impressed!
Anyways it so hot here!

Steph, thank you!  I have a feeling we will need to develop new and beautiful varieties of flowers that thrive in hotter drier climates than in the past.  Not just for the idea of places getting hotter, but also for places that were depending on watering and now more conservation is needed.  There are so many beautiful cacti and succulents, and water-conserving plants of other kinds.  It think it will take additional experimentation to find the best choices for hot places.

I have been using barnyard manure for years as well as such products as glacial dust, dust from grinding marble that I get from a cemetery stone carver, and stuff like that. An article arrived this morning that may interest you. 

"Joan

Do you know about the movement to remineralize the earth?

Within silicate rocks is a broad spectrum of up to one hundred

minerals and trace elements necessary for the well-being of all

life and the creation of fertile soils.

The mineral content of our food has gone down drastically 

since 1910.

It's very simple: you just add rock dust to your garden.

See more about the amazing benefits of remineralization and 

where to get rock dust here!

Video (9:40)

http://www.nextworldtv.com/page/11293.html

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service