Since I am unemployed right now my HOA is going to hire me to do a small landscaping job. They haven't told me yet, but one of the board members mentioned it in passing.

The areas are small, just between two walkways, and will get full sun during the day.

There are SO MANY options I could choose from, which is both great and frustrating. How to narrow it down? Here's what I think I want to do: 60% will be French lavender.

With the remaining 40% perhaps Dittany of Crete or some kind of sedum ground cover, or a both.

I want both a combination of color and texture and shape. The French lavender leaves are narrow and dark green, while the dittany is round, greyish, and fuzzy. That sounds like a nice combo to me. The sedums come in all shapes and sizes, so either a grey one or a yellow-greenish one. However, if the sedum blooms, and I think it will, I'd want it to bloom white, pink, or light purple, just not red, blue, yellow, or orange.

I have't had time to do any research yet, but I figured you'd all have some input or experience t share. So I have a couple of questions:

1.) Can anyone give me any idea as to what I should charge per hour?

2.) Does the French lavender get too stemmy or woody? And does it die back to the ground each year or does it have stems that remain through the winter? And does it get as expansive as this photo seems to indicated? This is a small area -- long and narrow, so I don't want the lavender to dominate the other plants.

Any input on sedums? I don't want this one to be sure, as I think it looks to southwest for our property:

Tags: advice, dittany, gardening, herbs, landscaping, lavender, sedum

Views: 952

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks. I'll check these out as soon as I can.

here is some curb-side lavender today.  When I bought them they were labeled "Spanish Lavender".  The "regular" lavender is not blooming yet.  These bushes are about 6 years old and get a severe trimming each winter.  The bees love it - there were dozens of bees on these as I took the pics.

Lovely.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service