How do you eat all that has grown in your garden? Share your favourite recipes.

Stir-fried turnip

1 turnip, cut in matchsticks

50 grams of mature cheese, e.g. Parmigiano Reggiano, grated

1 teaspoon of dried thyme

70 grams of hazel nuts

2 spoonfuls of olive oil

1 spoonful of butter

pepper

Melt the butter and mix with the oil. Fry the turnip on full heat for five minutes until turning brown. Lower the heat, add the nuts, thyme and pepper, and stir-fry five minutes more, or until ready. Sprinkle the cheese on top and serve with brown rice.

Views: 47

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds delicious!

Cool!

Chris thank you for the great idea!

Turnips are on my gardening list for 2014.  I grew 2 turnips in 2013, so I know it can be done.  :-)

Now I'll look for some turnips at the store.....

I'm not experienced with sauerkraut, having only made 2 batches.  But the first was great and the second is fermenting.

Here is another site with good instructions and a nice picture of how it looks when made from purple cabbage.  Very pretty.

Sauerkraut is amazingly easy. It uses the principle of lactic acid bacteria fermentaton. The bacteria are ubiquitous, and in the case of sauerkraut, live on the leaves in the fields. What makes the fermentation work is, the lactic acid bacteria thrive in high concentrations of salt that prevent the growth of harmful bacteria. They also thrive at cooler temperatures than many harmful bacteria. Salt also draws the juices out of the shredded cabbage leaves, which gives the lactic acid bacteria something to feed on. So they grow, proliferate, and make lactic acid, which tastes tart and serves as a preservative. Same as in yogurt.

The only ingredients are cabbage and salt. Noniodized salt - the iodine is apparently toxic to lactic acid bacteria.

Here is a detailed recipe and procedure. What I'm using is half-gallon mason jars and experimenting with how to keep the top sealed from air but still allowing release of fermentation gas.

5 pounds cabbage
3 tablespoons coarse sea salt.

Reserve a couple of cabbage leaves to cover the kraut.

I rinsed off the outside of the cabbage but that's all.  You don't want to wash off the beneficial bacteria.

Chop the cabbage into thin slivers.  I don't like the cabbage core so I fed that to the chickens.

Put it into a large bowl.

Add the salt and mix.

Pound the cabbage with a wooden spoon. Some people use their hands an knead it. That disrupts the cell walls in the cabbage so the juices can ooze out.  I did both spoon and hands.

Let it sit an hour. That lets the juices ooze some more and become brine.

Transfer into the jars. Pack firmly. I used chopsticks to transder into jar and packed using wooden spoon.
Cover with some cabbage leaves.  

Then use a contraption that allows escape of gas and expansion of juices, and prevents air from getting back in.  The one I got was via Amazon, called "Perfect Pickler" but i think there are cheaper ways.  It's overpriced.   I saw one site that recommended partially filling a plastic bag with water, and sitting that on the top of the kraut.  So I'm trying that too.   A lot of people use a small jar or a plate, and put a can of food on top to cover it.  Some people just fill the jars to the top, make sure it's packed fairly tightly, and screw on lids, then keep the jars on a plate to catch overflow and open the lids now and then to release pressure.

Keep in cool place for days to weeks.  The longer it sits the more sour it gets.  Joan can probably say a lot more about it than I can.  She is much much more expert than I am.

This sounds more complicated than it is.  Ning told me he grew up with saurkraut made from whole, unsliced cabbages packed into gigantic crocks and kept in the root cellar.

Some people want to sterilize the jar in boiling water.  That doesn't make sense to me, if we are using unwashed cabbage and kneading it with our bare hands.  I think it should  just be clean.

For the second batch, I mixed in a little sauerkraut from the first batch, and poured on a little of the brine, to jump start it.   That is not necessary but it looked like it was fermenting faster.

This is very tasty.  It  is not like grocery sauerkraut.  It is crunchy, crisp, and very tasty.

Interesting.  I don't care for the store-bought stuff much, but after reading you guys talk about it, I'm thinking of trying making my own someday.

Stir-fried kale with cashew nuts and mushrooms

olive oil

2 small onions, chopped

500 grms of shredded kale

1 clove of garlic, pressed

half a glass of dry white wine

100 grms of cashew nuts

250 grms of mushrooms, sliced

salt and cayenne pepper 

Fry the onion and the garlic until soft, add the kale and stir-fry for five minutes over a medium fire. Add the mushrooms and the wine, put a lid on the pan and let it simmer for 20 minutes over a low fire. Season with salt and cayenne pepper and add the cashew nuts just before serving.

Spicy Swiss Chard Chips

Like kale chips? Then you'll love these seasoned & spicy swiss chard chips to snack on! Recipe by Laura Bashar of Family Spice

Ingredients:

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 275ºF.
  2. Remove stem and cut into 2-inch pieces:
    • 10 swiss chard , leaves
  3. Place cut leaves in one layer on a baking sheet and toss with:
    • 1 TBS extra-virgin olive oil
  4. Season with:
    • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
    • 1/8 tsp chile powder
  5. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn leaves over and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
  6. Let chard chips cool and serve.

Spicy Swiss Chard Chips Detail

Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Inactive Time: 10 min cooling time
Difficulty: Easy
Servings: 6
Serving Size: 5 chips

Serving Suggestions: Serve as an appetizer or snack, or crush over your steak, tacos or any else that needs a little crunch!

Cooking Tips: This technique works for swiss chard, kale and other greens, too. Keep it simple with just salt or your favorite spices. Make sure your greens are dry. The drier the green, the crispier the chip!

Randall's freezer slaw

As far as freezer slaw, easy. Slice cabbage, carrots, pepper (I add tomatoes). Pour boiled vinegar/sugar liquid (with mustard and celery seed) over, and freeze in containers.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service