Our household is mixed - one vegetarian (ovo-lacto) and one is not. A few years ago we encountered a booth at the Portland Garden Show, promoting backyard chickens. One thing led to another, and we started with a small flock of 4 pullets. It's not difficult, and they are a constant source of discussion, attention, and fascination. And eggs.

Our hens are quite pretty to look at. Sort of monster parakeets. They are much hardier than tropical birds. They love to walk around, pecking at everything. On nice days, I ake my laptop outside and do 'homework' while watching the chickens wander and peck at stuff. It's like having giant, feathered, goldfish.

Unlike commercial chickens, they don't peck at each other, in fact they hang out together and cackle contendedly. Each hen has her own personality. I give them all of the weeds that I pull, and they eat them ravishingly. Pulling weeds has become, not so much a chore, but a harvest for the hens. Also, they get bugs, slugs, and worms from the garden. We feed them kitchen scraps as well. Their main diet is chicken feed from a local feed store, but they enjoy these other treats. They are a wonderful source of organic plant food, via composting the chicken poop in our compost bin. The eggs are "eggier" than store eggs - firmer white, more golden yolk, more 'eggy' flavor.

Backyard chickens are an American Tradition, and until the start of the suburban age, people had them in their yards in town and on the farm. I remember, my grandparents and great aunts had chickens in their yards, in town. Many recent immigrant families still like to keep them. In my area, it's families from Vietnam, Mexico, and Russia.

Currently, many cities allow backyard chickens, with some major restrictions. Usually, no roosters allowed. The hen house needs to be kept clean & sanitary. They must usually be fenced in, to prevent wandering and destruction of neighbors' yards. In some cases, they must be housed at least 20 or 50 feet away from any house, or in some cities, the property line. Some towns limit # of hens to 2, or 3, or 4.

There are lots of online resources. Here is Organic Gardening's Willi Galloway, in her blog, with some chicken advice and resources. She often discusses her chickens on the Seattle Tilth radio show. Here is a link to BackYardChickens.com with more information. Here is a listing of some city ordinances regarding chickens. More resources here, UrbanChickens.net. Basically, for any town, you need to find out your local municipal code, since there is no standard and there is even variability in different neighborhoods.

Backyard chickens can be raised in a caring, humane manner. They become part of nature's cycle in the garden. They are fun to keep as pets. High-laying breeds usually lay 4 to 6 eggs per hen, per week, better tasting than store-bought eggs. They are not perfectly politically correct for the ardent vegetarian (there is the issue of what happens to baby male chicks, especially in areas that ban roosters), but if someone is eating eggs or in a household that is not purely vegetarian, they are more environmentally friendly, humane, and sanitary, than the factory farm. They are no more work than a couple of cats. While laying eggs, they can be a bit noisy, but they usually do that in their egg laying house and the noise is usually only 15 minutes or so per day. The rest of the time, they make pigeon-like noises. All that it takes to avoid odor is clean the floor of their chicken house once weekly.

In my workplace, several people have 'come out of the henhouse' as enthusiastic backyard chicken owners. The hens are a favorite topic of conversation, often annoying and fascinating non-chicken owners.

Tags: chickens, hens

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

Judith -
That was wonderful. I am no poet, so I'll post a photo here of Mona and Lisa.
Judith,

I don't think they have any effect on the bamboo. Maybe they fertilize it some. We use the bamboo posts for projects like building a trellis and are saving some for fencing, so it doesnt hurt for it to grow. This variety doesnt seem too invasive, yet.

What they did do was completely obliterate the bishopweed. They are the only cure that I have found for that plant. Unfortunately, they destroy vegetables and ornamentals too, so we don't let them out of their yard. I bring weeds to them.

Pulling weeds has become a harvest ritual for me. I don't mind at all, and I always feel like I've acomplished something positive (given the chickens nutritious greens) instead of something negative (gotten rid of ugly weeds). Now some parts of the yard are week free, but there are PLENTY more in other areas.
Thanks for posting the links. It's sounds like it's been a rewarding experience for you. Your hens are pretty too. I've been wanting to get a few egg laying hens and I think I would enjoy having them around especially if they like weeds and slugs. Building a coop and caring for them during the winter is something I would need to do more research on.
Thanks for the info. I'm feeling very inspired!
That's great you built your own coop and with recycled materials. My husband and I have alot of scrap lumber from an old deck that was dismantled that could be reused.
With his help I know we could do it.
Roach,

These are pretty hens. I'll have to post a photo of the newer two. These are a Blue Orpington and a Brahma. Unfortunately, they are not as productive egg-wise as Rhode Island Reds - not as pretty but much more productive. We lost the Red last winter, I think she was bit by a racoon or o'possum when we left the henhouse door open.

If you have a choice, Reds are very productive. I read that Leghorns are also extremely productive, so one of our new ones is a Leghorn. The other is an Americauna. The advantage is I will be able to see who is laying eggs - Leghorns lay white eggs, Brahma and Orp lay brown eggs, and Americauna lay bluegreen eggs. We'll see who is earning their keep when the pullets come of age this summer.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service