Reading thru the Codex pages written by Altair that are found by Ezio in Assassin's Creed 2 it's quite obvious that Altair is an atheist based on his writings in Codex XX and Codex XXX.

Codex XX

I long for the day when men turn away from invisible monsters and once more embrace a more rational view of the world. But these new religions are so convenient - and promise such terrible punishment should one reject them - I worry that fear shall keep us stuck to what is surely the greatest lie ever told.

Codex XXX

Soon I shall pass from this world. It is my time. All the hours of the day are now colored by the thoughts and fears borne of this realization. I know that the elements of my body will return to the Earth. But what of my consciousness? My identity? That is to say - what of ME? I suspect it will end. That there is no next world. Nor a return to this one. It will simply be done. Forever. 

Our lives are so brief and unimportant. The cosmos cares nothing for us. For what we've done; Had we wrought evil instead of good. Had I chosen to abuse the Apple instead of seal it away. None of it would have mattered. There is no counting. No reckoning. No final judgement. There is simply silence. And darkness. Utter and absolute.

Are there any other video game characters that are obviously atheists based on their dialog, behavior, or personal writings?

Anyone here looking forward to the upcoming Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood? If anyone on the 360 is getting it and wants to hook up for multiplayer feel free to add me: DeafAtheist

Views: 1523

Replies to This Discussion

I gotta say a spaceship carrying the DNA of each species of animal is actually more believable than the "real" story of putting 2 of every animal on a single boat.

I had actually never heard of Raelians before. It sounds interesting... deluded, but interesting.
True, it is another form of god theory, just replacing gods with a highly advanced alien species. However I would not associate it with supernaturalism because there's a difference between magically creating something and using an advanced technology to create something. It's like associating cloning with supernaturalism and it's not the same thing.

I wouldn't consider an advanced alien technology to be a religious artifact unless humans were to mistakenly consider it to be religious due to not knowing the true origins of it but knowing that it's not something that exists on earth. Mind control isn't really a far fetched idea when we have human so eagerly willing to believe in supernaturalism because having faith is easier than leaning facts. Pat Condell said in one of his videos:

[QUOTE]Of course not everyone who has religious faith is a complete idiot, but a lot of stupid people do have faith because they're stupid for the simple reason that believing is a hell of a lot easier than thinking. It takes time and effort to acquire knowledge, whereas any fool can acquire faith instantly and effortlessly.[/QUOTE]

Humans also often use mind-altering drugs... recreationally....voluntarily. So the idea of using some kind of technology to control them minds of humanity is not far outside of the realm of possibility. After all the brain functions by electrical impulses.

So I wouldn't associate a belief in alien influence on humanity as particularly religious or supernatural. It's a whole different kind of nuttery altogether.
I think you're just splitting hairs here:

Law #3: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C. Clarke

>> I wouldn't consider an advanced alien technology to be a religious artifact unless humans were to mistakenly consider it to be religious due to not knowing the true origins

This is exactly case the game has put forward.

>> It takes time and effort to acquire knowledge, whereas any fool can acquire faith instantly and effortlessly

I don't know if this is true as I never had faith but it's still awesome.

>> So I wouldn't associate a belief in alien influence on humanity as particularly religious or supernatural

I lost you a little here, this goes back to my original complaint about setting aside disbelief for the sake of submersion. We have to assume the game is not meant to be allegorical to reality and that we won't encounter another deus ex machina. For all we know the aliens could be lizard men in disguise we are hallucinating, dreaming and in a VR inside another VR...

This is why I'm painting with such a broad stroke, "it's just another god theory".
Advanced technology would only be indistinguishable to someone who was unfamiliar with it. Say time travel was hypothetically possible today and one could travel to the past and bring present technology with them. Show someone a modern cell phone who lives in the early 1900's... That person might think it's magical, when the reality is it's not. It's an issue of perception, but a duck is still a duck.

You can't effortlessly or instantly acquire faith because you're not a fool. It's common knowledge that people with higher IQs tend to be more skeptical while people with lower IQs tend to accept simpler answers that have more certainty.

I do get your point, but my point is simply that there is a difference between supernaturalism and science fiction.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service