"Gamer" can mean a lot of things these days, so I thought I'd start a thread to separate the players of tabletop games (Boardgames, Wargames, Miniatures and Pen & paper RPGers) from the heaps of computer gamers out there.

While I fall into both camps the "Analog" games require opponents, and I just seem to enjoy talking about them a bit more.

Tags: Miniature, RPG, Wargame, board game, gamers, social

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

I played D&D in high school and some in college. Back when everyone knew what THACO stood for.

I miss those days, it was so much fun. Now a days I really enjoy a good game of Magic the Gathering. I haven't gotten into the more obscure pen and paper games but working in a gaming store in high school, I got pretty familiar with a lot of them.
I've always wanted to get into DnD but all the groups i have ever met seem to also be into vampirism or a other levels of scary i fear cannot be mentioned for the sake of humanity.
I started D&D back in 1978. I even played an RPGA Paragon game with Ed Greenwood once (how I got the LeQuella part of my nom de plum). I motly don't play tabletop because I can't find any analog gamers in my area. Besides, I'm so old that people think I'm just creepy as a gamer at this point! ;)
I picked up Final Fantasy for the NES, and wasn't sure how to play it, so didn't, until I started playing D&D in an after school program I was in, and then went back to FF, and owned it. I chalk up most of my love for console RPG's to the ol', "Paper and Pencil" games.
I love board games, as well.
I've never fully gotten on the card game bandwagon, though.
I've been playing RPGs since '82 and I currently run a weekly game, alternating between Unknown Armies and Pendragon.
Heh, glad to see a lot of D&D fans around here. I've been playing since 1982 when my uncle dropped the PHB and DMG on my lap as a rather young kid. I've really started to like the direction things took with 4th edition, next year when the D&D Insider tools are released I may have to see about putting an Official AN D&D game together online.
That sounds like fun. When I left for college my buddies and I did that over mIRC. It was like a dynamic Multi-User Domain... of which I am also a fan.
I'm a second gen D&D player, although my parents don't play anymore. My husband and I moved our family to Dallas a couple of years ago, and lost most of our gaming buddies then. (wah!) We have young kids now, and just don't have the time to invest in a new group (or staying out all day or night for a session). But I love keeping up with what people are playing. Maybe when our kids are old enough we can roll dice with them.

If you are looking for a group in your area, try looking on Meetup. If you are out in BFE it might not be useful, but for my area I've seen several gaming groups.
So, my set of 4th edition D&D books just arrived late last week and I've been pouring through them. Man I tell you, i wanted to HATE Wizards of the Coast, i wanted to be able to rake them over the coals for their desecration of my childhood... but then I played it... and man 4th edition is a heck of a lot of fun...
I nearly always run games inside my own campaign worlds, i just find it easier.

I liked the d20 system in concept but in execution I think it had some major failings. Some people don't have a problem with these but allow me to enumerate them all (these are all problems I believe 4th edition "solves").

1.) If you wanted a character to be "competitive" you pretty much had to have about 10 levels of feat progression figured out when you created your character.

2.) playing a cleric was boring, especially in early levels.

3.) A fighter could be a better archer or 2-weapon expert than a ranger ever could be.

4.) The magic system was still a throwback from 1st edition... it was a sacred cow I'm glad ha finally been turned into hamburger.

5.) Encounter generation - D20 was all about building monsters, outfitting them with class levels and the like in order for them to be interesting, monster stat blocks were near character-sheet sized entries and the complexities of some monsters were enough to make me just want to skip them.

6.) The CR system, was a poor attempt at encounter balance, and could easily be thrown a loop depending on the character's magic item load-out.

7.) Treasure allotment system (outside of the RPGS official) was somewhat arbitrary, and didn't give DM's an accurate picture of what a character of level X should have.

8.) Sweet spot of levels 5-15, the previous were often too limiting, the latter too overwhelming.

9.) Obvious "best" choices in character building. You can link this to #1, but there are some feats that were just never picked, ever....

10.) Well , because any list worth it's salt has ten entries...
I have been playing Magic the Gathering OTB for over a decade now. And I'm only 17! Have tried my hands at DND on a few occasions, but found the people to be the problem... And lastly: I play Chess!

But Chess, it is it's own beast. And in that vein I have created a Chess user group. Join you fools! (If you like Chess)
I play D&D every two weeks with a local group. I also enjoy board games like Settlers Of Catan, Puerto rico and some other. I got big into Magic The Gathering, I was spending $100 a week on cards. Played online for 5-6 hours a day, and every weekend at the local card store. Took a trip to Boston for the reginals, placed 150 out of something like 5000 players. I still have boxes of cards sitting around, I must have 10,000 cards or more.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service