livescience.com

"The translation of the Bible into English marked the birth of religious fundamentalism in medieval times, as well as the persecution that often comes with radical adherence in any era, according to a new book. "

It's interesting, this is also shown in the TV series, "The Tudors" - although manipulation of religious leaders for political gain was also pivotal.  Of course, that's just historical fiction.  :-)

"

It was Protestant reformer William Tyndale who first translated the Bible into colloquial English in 1525, when the movement away from Catholicism began to sweep through England during the reign of Henry VIII....

Persecution and paranoia became the norm, Simpson said, as the new Protestants feared damnation if they didn't interpret the book properly. Prologues in Tyndale's Bible warned readers what lay ahead if they did not follow the verses strictly...

See original article for more detail - my exerpts are edited for brevity.

What this seems to say is that, once control of biblical intrepretation was taken from the "professionals", then everyone could become a religious tyrant. 

The rise of fundamentalist interpretations during the English Reformation can be used to understand the global political situation today and the growth of Islamic extremism...newly literate people claiming that the sacred text speaks for itself, and legitimates violence and repression...and the same is also true of Christian fundamentalists."

In other words, literacy, without critical thinking skills, leads to fundamentalism.

Tags: fundamentalism, literacy

Views: 17

Replies to This Discussion

What this seems to say is that, once control of biblical intrepretation was taken from the "professionals", then everyone could become a religious tyrant.

Makes absolute sense to me.

The reason the Catholic Church decided upon the denomination and doctrine that it did is that it puts them as the required pathway between an individual and God. You don't get church; you don't get God.

The Gnostic Gospels in particular put divine power in the hands of the individual. They even go so far as to preach Jesus as not being a literal character but a truly figurative one. The 'real' Jesus is inside the individual. I forget which one, but my favorite of the Nag Hammadi codices retells the creation story of Genesis with little change, only pointing out that God is the bad guy for wanting to keep us slaves to our ignorance and the serpent as the good guy for showing us Wisdom.

In any case, enter the Protestant Reformation. Once people realized they could read the bible for themselves, that they could have God without the church, ... revolution!

Of course, the old hierarchies took right back over in the form of Protestant churches and cults of personality whom you must now obey if you want the keys to heaven.
Frankly, I'm impressed that someone has even heard of the Nag Hammadi codices, let alone has a favorite. Wow!
Frankly, I'm impressed that someone has even heard of the Nag Hammadi codices, let alone has a favorite. Wow!

I wear the scarlet "N" for "Nerd."

:-P
You and I both know that 'Nerd' is a compliment.

;-)
I'm wondering if the Nag Hammadi codices can be downloaded onto Kindle? So much to learn, so little time.
"The Gnostic Gospels in particular put divine power in the hands of the individual. They even go so far as to preach Jesus as not being a literal character but a truly figurative one. The 'real' Jesus is inside the individual." I can see that this had to be suppressed.

creation story of Genesis with little change, only pointing out that God is the bad guy for wanting to keep us slaves to our ignorance and the serpent as the good guy for showing us Wisdom.THis would fit in well here.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service