What sends your evil dark geek hearts all a flutter?

Mine:

- Figuring out how something works and thinking about how to make it work better or different.

- Anything hacking. Hardware or software. Good or evil.

- Astrophysics, cosmology, quantum anything.  Though most of it goes way over my head if they start talking formulas.  I could listen to Neil deGrasse Tyson talk for hours on end.

- Green tech.

- Board gaming.  If you have ever played Power Grid, you understand. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2651/power-grid

Views: 83

Replies to This Discussion

I love history any kind. Can especially get my geek on when talking about medieval or Early Modern England or the 20th century due to my BA. 

Psychology, I love explaining to people how unreliable their senses are. ( I  literally just did this 1/2 hr ago, explaining why I think there are no such thing as ghosts). I blame Carl Sagan.

Anything to do with fantasy/horror books and movies (especially R. R Martin Song of Ice and Fire series).

Atheism or politics.

Anything to do with my new obsession -Bellydance

That is so cool Crazy Cat Lady! I love fantasy/horror movies too!

Psychology and history -- cool as well.

Do you take classes in bellydancing?

Yes, I have been doing it almost for a year now.  I am now up to 3 or 4 classes a week. We have a good instructor here.  Wish I could have got into sooner as it makes you feel great. Also good for building muscle. Plus you get to wear bling while you exercise. 

As for horror, I loved scary movies when I was a kid and starting reading horror when I was thirteen. I read some fantasy but my husband reads more. I like historical fiction too. 

Ah, a discussion about NerdPr0n? I suppose I could tag along.

- Astrophysics, just like Scott I could listen to Neil deGrasse Tyson (or Lawrence Krauss) talk for hours without ever getting bored.

- Magic the Gathering, I can think a whole day about how to improve my decks, think about mana curves, combo's, etc. I actually sometimes even play whole games in my head. Even though I only recently started (again) with the game I seriously think that I would know probably most cards by heart.  (there are around 20.000 individual unique cards....). Especially the mathematics of the game really interest me, there's math hidden everywhere in the game.

- History, although I could not tell you exactly how many troops died in which battle during the many wars of the 19th and 20th century I would probably be able to explain how these wars are connected and how the economic and social structure that supported western society has changed.

- Big freaking Mechanical things, Tanks, airplaines, spaceshuttles, rockets, you name it, I love it. If it's big, complicated and if it might say "BOOM" if things go right (or wrong) I'll probably be interested. Likewise I am quite a nerd in regards to weaponry, both ancient and modern technology does interest me. 

- Serial Killers, I like finding out how my brain "ticks", and one of the best ways to learn something is to find out how to break the system or how a problem arises/presents itself within the system. Serial killers are often very interesting in their pathology and behavior as well as that they can teach us a lot about our own behavior. 

I could continue....

Serial Killers...I have the book "Encyclopedia of Serial Killers" which I sometimes read when going to bed.

Me too, I have 2 Encyclopedias about Serial Killers and I too have often read them before going to bed, never lost a minute of sleep because of it. 

It's so cool to read these stories, because even the most bizarre behavior seems to have a logical explanation, and it often provides me with new insights in how my brain works.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service