Stealth technology takes a lot of forms. The word can refer to all kinds of things, from spray-coatings on bombers to the active camouflage of various science fiction properties. For the purposes of this article, we’ll treat the word stealth with the following definition: the passive avoidance of detection. That is to say, the Predator wouldn’t count — that would be cloaking. We’ll get to that in a later piece. But stealth, particularly, has been making real-world impacts for hundreds of years. It has served as a major play in several concurrent arms races, often turning the tide of wars before countermeasures are developed.

The most basic form of stealth? Hiding, the time-honored tradition of holding a bush in front of you as you advance on the castle, or painting splotches on your fatigues so you can blend in with the ground. This may seem silly, but in the lead-up to the World War I, a U-Boat’s stealth capabilities came almost entirely from the fact that it was simply not visible. In the time before advanced sonar and meticulous new methods of triangulation, that really was all it took. Similarly, the altitude of a spy plane counts as stealth, especially given modern research outfitting planes with non-standard cameras to spy the ground through the protection of cloud cover.

Read the rest at the link below:
http://www.geek.com/news/geek-answers-what-is-stealth-technology-an...

Views: 18

Replies to This Discussion

Now, all the great minds out there need to get on the political problems and make them manageable. Economics being the major challenge. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

John Aultman commented on Barbara Shinton's blog post Glad to be here.
10 minutes ago
Pat replied to Sean Green's discussion New to nexus
14 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
19 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Sean Green's discussion New to nexus
22 minutes ago
Barbara Shinton updated their profile
42 minutes ago
Barbara Shinton posted a status
"I have been so isolated all my life cause i refuse to believe the lies that were fed to me. I tried to do it there way but it is not real."
44 minutes ago
"just reading what other atheists think calms me down.I think there hope 4 me yet. lol."
46 minutes ago
"thank u all for welcoming me."
48 minutes ago
Barbara Shinton posted a blog post
49 minutes ago
"well i up dated my profile and think this is a good website. When i think of the abuse done to me in my childhood because i did not want to "
52 minutes ago
Čenek Sekavec posted a photo
52 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Atheists who love Science!
53 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service