What Happens When a Quiverfull Dad Becomes a Woman?

The Quiverfull movement is an extreme Christian fundamentalist subculture that bans all birth control and encourages women to have as many children as possible. As such, you might not think that the story of a Quiverfull dad confiding in his wife that he wanted to switch sexes and begin living as a woman would end badly. In this case, at least, you'd be wrong.

The surprisingly sweet story begins with a woman named Melissa having a traditional courtship with her future husband. In this case, by "traditional," I mean "completely chaste and completely under parental supervision." When the two married, they'd never been intimate with anyone, and they lived the "traditional" lifestyle of a married couple in the Quiverfull movement — she stayed home with the kids, he went off to a Christian seminary to study to be a minister, and together, they hoped to start a church for people who home schooled their kids.

But after awhile things, as things tend to do, got more complicated. Melissa's husband began sporadically confessing to having seen "bad stuff" on the internet. And one day, they watched an episode of Tyra together featuring a transgender fashion show, her husband seemed curiously knowledgable about the vocabulary and lingo of the participants. Some time later, Melissa's husband confessed that he had been reading a lot about transsexual people on the internet, and that he felt like he might be a "transsexual"; he'd always felt like he was born in the wrong body, had mourned not being able to be a mother, and coveted his sisters' long hair when he was young. [continue with this blog post or go to orginal blog post here]

Tags: Quiverfull, christianity, religion, theism, transgender

Views: 90

Replies to This Discussion

I'm really amazed that evangelical christians don't run onto this phenomenon more often ... or maybe they do and no one has the guts to admit it.  There's human nature, with its vagaries and variabilities, and then there is the bible and the hard and fast rules it tells its believers regarding what its concept of human nature is supposed to be.  Long term, Just WHICH ONE Do You Think Is Going To Win Out?!?

Just one more way believers try to piss up a rope.

I'm sitting here in my gorgeous garden imagining the sight of someone pissing up a rope. My laughter attracted the attention of my next door neighbor and the image continues.

Interesting story, there are so many turns that 180 doesn't come close. This needs the complex plane. Humans are more complicated than 360 degrees after all.

Thanks for the interesting story.
Yeah Loren you would think the xtians would have more of these things happening. Maybe it just doesn't make the news.

I wish more of these kinds of stories had a happy ending. Or at least a hopeful one.

Yes, it looks like they've adjusted well. Not everyone can do that.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service