I know a lot people on Nexus would likely disagree with this verdict, as interfering with freedom of speech.  In the UK, 3 men were convicted for promoting violent hate speech. They state this is part of their Islamic faith.

newstrackindia.com  The 3 men will apparently be "jailed for seven years for inciting hatred after distributing flyers that called for gay people to be hanged, stoned and burned as punishment...handed out the material in the street as well as posting it through letterboxes ... calling for the execution of gay people"

bbc.co.uk one witness who received the leaflets through his letterbox stated "They made me feel terrorised in my own home,"..."Sometimes I wondered whether I would be getting a burning rag through the letterbox or if I would be attacked in the street."

Remembering that Salmon Rushdie has spent decades in hiding due to the fatwa against him, the murder of Theo Van Gogh, and the security needed by Ayaan Hirsi Ali due to fears of retribution; the fact that even in the US people self-censor due to similar fears (South Park), my own sentiments are in agreement that this sort of action is needed.  The cartoonist who developed "draw mohammed day" also backed off, due to fears that her life was in danger.

I also remember antigay violence from the 60s, 70s, 80s, not officially reported upon but widely rumored, in my community.  This violence was supported by the type of hate speech that is discussed here.  In the US, Philip Kayser, an evangelical minister and some-time Ron Paul supporter, supports death penalty for homosexuality.  Ugandan politicians continue to waffle with regards to the US-evangelical-supported bill for death penalty for gays.  Hate speech does have consequences, in some cases life-changing, for the worse, and even life ending.

It's a sticky issue, where the line is drawn, and who decides where it is drawn.  I can say I have no sympathy for those men, and Im glad that somewhere, hate speech against LGBT people is taken seriously.

Views: 45

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't seen the leaflet, so I can't speak to what it said exactly. But there is a difference between saying "The law should be changed so that we prosecute homosexuals and the penalty should be death" and "Lets kill the homosexuals". One calls for changes to the law, the other is incitement to break the law.

I'm not sure about the UK, but in the US, the former is protected speech, the latter is not. 

The KKK is free to march, make speeches and talk about the superiority of the white race all they want, but when they openly suggest lynching, they've crossed the line and can be prosecuted for it.

Hm...  I don't know where to draw the line either, but I do wish influential anti-gay advocates would die.  The world would be a better place without them.

Examples:

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Lmnopicue replied to James M. Martin's discussion Ben Affleck Debates Maher and Harris and Makes Total Ass of Himself
45 seconds ago
Grinning Cat replied to Ted Foureagles's discussion This Holiday seaon:
1 minute ago
Grinning Cat commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
21 minutes ago
Clara Dawes joined Dr. Terence Meaden's group
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 replied to jay H's discussion Free speech (right)
1 hour ago
Glen Rosenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion Ben Affleck Debates Maher and Harris and Makes Total Ass of Himself
1 hour ago
Freethinker31 replied to James M. Martin's discussion Ben Affleck Debates Maher and Harris and Makes Total Ass of Himself
1 hour ago
Glen Rosenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion Ben Affleck Debates Maher and Harris and Makes Total Ass of Himself
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Ben Affleck Debates Maher and Harris and Makes Total Ass of Himself
2 hours ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Watched Bill Maher tonight ... and my estimate of Rula Jebreal just took a major-league DUMP, mostly because she's a Bill Affleck wannabe!"
2 hours ago
"Watched Bill Maher tonight ... and my estimate of Rula Jebreal just took a major-league DUMP, mostly because she's a Bill Affleck wannabe!"
2 hours ago
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service