Atheist Nexus Logo
Hi everyone, I'm new to Atheist Nexus!  I'm gay and an atheist and I was really glad to find this site because it just me or does it seem like there's a lack of LGBT atheists out there?  Like on the Internet, it seems like I can find plenty of sites for LGBT religious believers, but Atheist Nexus is one of the few sites I've been able to find that have groups devoted excuseilvely to LGBT atheists and related issues.  Given how much religion persecutes the LGBT community, one would expect there to be a lot more LGBT atheists out there, but does it seem like to you that there's a serious lack of LGBT atheists, especially vocal activists?  How many authors are there out there who write books on LGBT issues from a freethought position versus the numerous gay Christian authors?  And even though there's lots of religious organizations out there that are targeted at the LGBT community, I can't seem to find any such orginizations for LGBT atheists.  Do you think atheists are generally more welcomed in the LGBT community than they are among heterosexuals?  If you're an LGBT atheist, have you found more support from heterosexuals or the LGBT community?  Have you found more support for your atheism from heterosexuals or the LGBT community or is it about the same?  What do you think can be done to increase the visiblity of atheists in the LGBT community? 

Views: 162

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I think you're right. I'm sure there are a lot of atheist LGBTs out there who shy away from openly defending free thought and rationality. Another point I'd like to make is that they are outnumbered by many gay christians who actually hurt the fight for truth and uncompromising justice

Well, as it comes to LGBT-et-cetera, you'll find me under "B" ... and while I don't go spoiling for a fight, I won't shy away from one, either.  Most religions I'm aware of want to treat us as undesirables if not abominations, though their holy books fail to provide any rational justification for their positions, other than that their god said so.

Someone had better tell them that two can play that game.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Nexus on Social Media:

Latest Activity

Loren Miller posted a status
"After hearing excerpts of Netanyahu's speech, I am starting to think that Israel should be left out in the wind to twist. Not very PC of me."
5 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Jennifer W's discussion Do you believe Jesus existed?
39 minutes ago
Ian Mason commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
41 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Asa Watcher's discussion Do you suffer from hopolophobia?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Asa Watcher's discussion Do you suffer from hopolophobia?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
1 hour ago

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service