Some People Really Might Have 'Gaydar'

Some people actually may  have "gaydar," a widely used slang term for the ability to assess quickly  another person's sexual orientation, a new study suggests.

Researchers asked 129 college students to look at 96 photos of young  men and women and to identify them as either gay or straight. The  participants were 65 percent accurate in identifying gay and straight  women and 57 percent accurate in identifying gay and straight men.

Faces in photos were free of glasses or jewelry, as well as scars,  facial hair and non-earlobe piercings.

When the faces were viewed upside down, the participants' accuracy  slipped to 61 percent in identifying gay/straight women and 53 percent in  identifying gay/straight men.

Still, that accuracy rate is higher than would be expected by chance  alone, the researchers said. [continue]

Tags: LGBT, gaydar, gays, lesbians, study

Views: 77

Replies to This Discussion

I really prefer viewing people upside down even if I can't identify their sexuality.  It's much more interesting.

I have gaydar. I am never wrong.

I'm right more often than I trust myself to be. It takes a while to unlearn the "keep your head down" mentality.

I need to have Shannon with me when I'm out and about.  It's good to have someone whose gaydar is never wrong.

When I moved from the midwest to the pacific northwest, at first I thought almost all men here seemed gay.  Later, others who made the same move, said the same thing to me.  Not sure why.  then I moved to Chicago, and I thought the gay men who I met were really straight men who just fooled around with guys.  But they really were gay.  Then I moved back to the northwest, and now I just dont notice.

LOL SB, I should clarify- never wrong with WOMEN. No matter if they are butch or femme, there is a certain..I don't know what it is..bold, brazen ability to stare other queer girls down. And there is also the sense of sturdiness that has nothing to do with butch or femme. Lots of little non traditional things that make me hit it on the nose.

I'd say I am pretty on target with guys when I notice, but no guarantees there.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Grinning Cat replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
7 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
11 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
15 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
17 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted a discussion
18 minutes ago
21 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
26 minutes ago
27 minutes ago
29 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Enough already - take down the Brother Richard article from the banner
31 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
34 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
40 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service