I know I don't write here often, so feel free to ignore this post if you want, but I had to post somewhere.

I know it's just a tv show and a fantasy one at that, but watching the latest episode of "True Blood" bugged me.  A character (male, vampire) has been strung along in an on-again off-again relationship with a female vampire.  In the mean time he's been getting close to a self proclaimed "Queen" (male, human).  Anyway, long story short for those who don't watch the show, the male vampire despairing his going nowhere relationship with the female, admits that he was with a man in the past and ends up "hooking up" with the male human.  

Anyway, the show was doing so good at portraying a seemingly bisexual character, and then what happens?  After he's caught with the other man, the "girlfriend" gets super angry.  Another character calls him gay, says that what he was doing seemed "pretty gay to [him]" and the girl responds that "No, he's not gay, he's just confused!"

I'm not telling it very well, but it just bugged me that no one, even considers the possibility that he might just be bisexual and that his dalliance was entirely due to the complexity of his relationships and the fact that he may be equally attracted to either sex.  The term is never even used.  

I guess it just bothers me that this seems to be the case every time a character who seems to be bisexual appears in modern media shows (it happened in Glee, too).  They're written off as "confused," especially if that character is male.  I feel like this does a disservice to those who are bisexual in real life because it perpetuates the stigma that they are either "just confused" or (another horrible stereotype) "greedy."

Sorry for the rant, but this felt like the only safe place for me to vent my frustration and feelings on this.  Has anyone else noticed this?  Am I just taking it too personally?  I don't know that there's really much to discuss about this, but if you made it this far, thanks for reading and if you have any input or response I'd be happy to read them.  Thanks.

Tags: bisexual, characters, fictional, media, show, tv

Views: 46

Replies to This Discussion

Most people like black and white thinking.  Bisexuality confuses them because it isn't black and white.

Television very often mimics views held in our society and, unfortunately, the particular reactions to bisexuality that you described are extremely common, not only within the general public but in our own community as well.

Thanks for posting! 

BTW, I like your comedy/tragedy skulls. 

I can't speak knowledgeably on the experience of being bisexual, but I don't think you're being overly sensitive or taking things too personally. A short while back I heard an interesting interview regarding bisexuality on NPR, and it made me realize there's a whole different set of issues. The stereotypes seem to range from "just confused" to "it must be the best of both worlds," neither of which is probably true for most people. As for media presentation, I would surmise that much of what seems like dismissal or short shrift boils down to the soundbite culture. Everyone in marketing (except the Democrats) knows that nuance doesn't play in Peoria.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service