Hi everyone! I didn't know whether to post this in the Book Club instead, so I apologise if this is in the wrong place.

Is anyone else here interested in GLBT literature? I'm currently following the Celaeno series by Jane Fletcher, and I'm really enjoying it. The books are escapist rather than challenging, but they are still very much worth it if you fancy a relaxing read. I'd recommend it to everyone who likes lesbian sci-fi and fantasy.

I also love Mary Renault's "The Persian Boy"- it's a very beautiful queer historical novel, although I admit the prose style isn't for everyone.

Does anyone else have any particular favourites or recommendations?

Tags: literature

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Cake :)

While I wouldn't say I have read LGBT literature expansively, I do have some favorites in the sci-fi fantasy sub-genre:

"Dryland's End" by Felice Picano - This is probably my favorite. It's a far-future yarn that deals with a matriarchal galactic civilization and has some interesting 'malcontents'.

The Last Herald-Mage series by Mercedes Lackey - Wonderful fantasy trilogy with a gay male protagonist.

There are several others that I like quite a lot but those are what first came to mind.

In non-fiction, one of my favorites is "Following Foo" by B.D. Wong. It deals with he and his partner's quest to have a child through IVF/Surrogacy. Beautiful story.

Thanks for starting this thread! :)
Thanks for the recommendations; I'll be sure to check them out.

One of my favorites is Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg- it's about the life of a lesbian runaway who eventually transitions to male in order to find decent jobs.

I would also recommend Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown, which tells the tale of a girl trying to find herself during the turbulent 1960s.

Yet another novel I really enjoy is The Two Mujeres by Sara Levi Calderon, which details the struggle of a woman with her traditional Jewish family and conservative Catholic Mexican society.
Hello, Cake, and welcome. I read all of Mary Renault's works as a boy: it was about the only literature I could find dealing with gay themes. I devoured the books and loved them. I knew nothing of Vidal's The City and the Pillar and similar works, but I did get my hands on a pre-Maurice short story by E. M. Forster that appeared in a mass circulation magazine at the time. But I think the first overtly gay novel I read was Jigsaw by Geoffrey Linden. It was not a very well written book, but who cared? At least it was about the sort of person I knew I had to become, and it addressed some of the obstacles toward self-actualization as a queer male. That is the value of all literature, good and bad: it gives one courage to be.

Later, of course, I found out about things like Jean Cocteau's Livre Blanc, which ends with the lines: "I am not willing to be merely tolerated; I want to be accepted," or words like that. All of these works help in understanding who and what one "is." Hey, why don't you start a group at the site based on this topic?

I loved Lilvre Blanc. I need to read it again soon. Do you like his dwgs?
Do you mean the topic of GLBT literature or the Cocteau quote?

I've meant to try Gore Vidal for a long time--I can't wait to get hold of some of his work, as I've heard a lot of good things about it.
I've always liked Gore Vidal, at least what I know of him as a person. He is quite outspoken. I've read some of his essays, which were okay, though somewhat over my head (from a historical and knowledge-base perspective), but I have not read any of his novels. Though I would like to one day. The wiki article on him is quite extensive (and he was a rather handsome young man, too).
I am not at all. I've read only two gay books in my life, and that was about 20 years ago. However, I looked up The Persian Boy on Amazon.com, and it has 54 five-star reviews, and I read a bit of it online, too. It sounds interesting, but I'll have to admit that I abhor first-person narratives for some reason (except the short stories of E.A. Poe), so I'm not sure I could read it. Though the subject sounds fascinating and romantic.
If you're not a fan of first-person narrative, the Persian Boy might not be for you--the protagonist's voice strikes me as one you will either love or hate. I can't say for sure, though--why not look up the first few pages on Google books? It is a very fascinating book.
I don't think I've ever read any LGBT literature (beyond a bit of dubious slash, but that really doesn't count.)
As a former slash writer and reader myself, I feel justified in expressing the opinion that "dubious slash" is actually a redundancy :D
Dear Cake-----I'm curious. There are more women who write gay male fiction than there are men who write lesbian fiction. Or so it appears to me. If true, why do you think this is? And by "women" I mean gay and straight female writers, ditto with "men.
Thank you to everyone who replied, and for the recommendations--I shall be keeping an eye out for them! I'm always on the lookout for new GLBT books to read for when I have time in the summer (or possibly sooner, circumstances depending).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service