From BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8311499.stm

----
Jan Moir's article said Gately's death struck a blow to the "happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships".

In her column, Moir called the Boyzone singer's death "strange, lonely and troubling".

She wrote: "The Gately family are - perhaps understandably - keen to register their boy's demise on the national consciousness as nothing more than a tragic accident."

But she continued: "Whatever the cause of death is, it is not, by any yardstick, a natural one. Let us be absolutely clear about this.

"All that has been established so far is that Stephen Gately was not murdered."

She concluded: "As a gay rights champion, I am sure he would want to set an example to any impressionable young men who may want to emulate what they might see as his glamorous routine.

"For once again, under the carapace of glittering, hedonistic celebrity, the ooze of a very different and more dangerous lifestyle has seeped out for all to see."

----

Interesting to note that the BBC has not mentioned that PCC has no control over the Daily Mail unless a member of Stephen's family makes an official complaint. IF they do choose to rule in this matter on strength of public opinion alone (which they should) they should also rule when religious nutters in the Mail make a mockery out of other things.

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

What a revolting piece of "journalism" from an insensitive, bigoted, twat.

Jan Moir's article said Gately's death struck a blow to the "happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships".

Uh, what "happy ever after myth" would that be Jan? Is it the one that exists only in your mind in order to provide you with a strawman to attack? Only I've never heard any gay people expressing the opinion that their civil union is statistically more likely to last than a straight marriage.

In her column, Moir called the Boyzone singer's death "strange, lonely and troubling".

The death of any young person is most certainly troubling, on that I can agree with her. And while the cause of death is unknown it also has an air of strangeness about it. But lonely? Here was a young man who was at the forefront of a successful pop group and was surrounded by friends and family who completely accepted him for who he was. Not only that, he had only just recently had a civil union with the person he intended to spend his life with. But hey, why let the facts get in the way of an opportunity to express your inner bigot by insinuating that being gay = a lonely depressing existence and is therefore something to avoid.

She wrote: "The Gately family are - perhaps understandably - keen to register their boy's demise on the national consciousness as nothing more than a tragic accident."
But she continued: "Whatever the cause of death is, it is not, by any yardstick, a natural one. Let us be absolutely clear about this.
"All that has been established so far is that Stephen Gately was not murdered."

You know, I had to read the above passages several times before I could appreciate the full nastiness of which this individuals bigotry is soaked in. She takes it upon herself to decide that this death was not a natural one before the damn coroner has even released his report.

She also shows her true colours with the careful wording she chooses when reporting the reaction of Gately's parents. The correct thing to say would have been "Until the cause of death is known, Gately's parents are treating this as a terrible accident". But she didn't. Instead she used these words; "keen to register their boy's demise on the national consciousness as nothing more than a tragic accident.", in my opinion directly implying that Gately's parents are presenting the public with a preferred story over the truth.

She concluded: "As a gay rights champion, I am sure he would want to set an example to any impressionable young men who may want to emulate what they might see as his glamorous routine.
"For once again, under the carapace of glittering, hedonistic celebrity, the ooze of a very different and more dangerous lifestyle has seeped out for all to see."

Garbage. What happened was a young man suffered an acute pulmonary oedema which was then jumped on by a gay hating, bottom-of-the-barrell "journalist" as an opportunity to launch a not-too-thinly veiled case of brought it on himself/see what happens when you're gay.

VOMIT

On a happier note, it seems this cows article has earned her lots of rightly deserved flak.
What a revolting piece of "journalism" from an insensitive, bigoted, twat.

Got it in one.

But the PCC lacks the teeth to do anything unless a member of the family lodge a complaint. I have tried (and failed) before to complain about the Mail's outrageous bullshittery - but the response is always the same.

If they're not libeling YOU personally, you can't complain. Perhaps, if something good were to come from this tragic death, it would be that the PCC are given more leway to act and bigger teeth to control this hideous excuse for journalism.
Marc,

Thank you for posting this article. I'm glad that people are calling Moir on her disingenuous excuses and homophobia.

Celebs do have a tendency to die of drug overdoses and excess. That is not an indication that their sexuality, gender, race, or other characteristics are wrong. It's an indication that they are human beings and get too close too danger when their play gets out of hand. Moir appears to be backing down a bit because she was caught for her bigotry, without wanting to admit that she's a bigot.

The "happy ever after myth" statement is just plain weird. Does an opposite-sex relationship that doesn't work out as expected "strike a blow" to the "happy ever after myth" of straight marraige? Moir deserves the flak that she's getting.
Daniel, I'm disturbed to hear that the chair of the PCC is also a senior person at The Mail.

The only reason the PCC are even investigating is because members of Mr Gately's family have lodged a formal complaint.

If we need any more proof that the toothless PCC needs replacing, this is surely it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service