Will you no longer eat at this restaurant?
I don't usually eat fast food - but I don't think I want to support this type of restaurant.
What do you think?

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News

The president of Chick-fil-A, the fast food chain with more than 1,600 restaurants and $4 billion in revenue, has come out against same-sex marriage.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Dan Cathy, the company's president and chief operating officer, said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

In an interview with the Baptist Press published this week, Cathy doubled down on his stance against same-sex unions.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy said. "We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The company, founded by Dan's father, Truett Cathy, in 1946, has a history of "unapologetic social conservatism," as the Daily Caller put it. All 1,608 of its stores are closed on Sundays, a day of rest for most Christians.

According to Queerty.com, the WinShape Foundation—Chick-fil-A's charitable arm—donated more than $1.1 million between 2003 and 2008 to anti-LGBT groups, doubling that amount to $2 million in 2009.

Earlier this year, students at Northeastern University protested a proposal to put a Chick-fil-A on its Boston campus because of the company's history of supporting anti-gay organizations. The school abandoned its plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-gay-marriage-20110812...

Views: 2160

Replies to This Discussion

For a horrible minute there I thought that pic was a response here instead of copied from another site.  The horror!

Yeah exactly - the horror!

You're right. I should have labeled it. The more I look at it, the more creeped out I get.

LMFAO!

Another dumbass voice heard from.  No surprise here.  via joe.my.god.  Supposedly this will lead to multimillions more going to antigay causes.  If you can believe Cain.

But he didn't say, "multimillions", I think the word was "some" ... like in $1 or $100 or $1,000 or $1,000,000. Why not say, "I contribute it all to support of bigotry?! I wonder what he would be saying if Mr. Chick-fil-A spoke of blacks as he does of GLBT? Scapegoating just keeps moving around, without reason, without compassion, without appreciation for diversity.  

Good points, all of them.   Hilarious if he gives $1.  Bet it will be a lot more though.

I agree Joan. Cain also just lies about everything. Remember when he said he was just "friends" with that woman and he was giving her money? What a joke. Anyone knows if you are giving someone money you are more than just pals. What a big fat liar!!

I can't believe people are that gullible.

Oh noes! Not Hermain Cain!

It's been quiet lately.

Maybe Chick-Fil-A is trying to lay low.

Not really. The extremist "offense de jure" has moved to something else. In the age of "Oh, that's so ten minutes ago" there are new phony issues to be be outraged over. Kind of like Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984, at the Hate Week festival. People are screaming over the hated enemy of Eurasia, when they're suddenly told the real enemy is Eastasia. And, like blind sheep they are, they all go along with it. It's not really about the particular enemy (in this case LGBT), it's the idea of keeping the hatred alive and targeting a new enemy when the need arises.

You are right Pat, it's about keeping the hatred alive.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
15 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
1 hour ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
2 hours ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service