Will you no longer eat at this restaurant?
I don't usually eat fast food - but I don't think I want to support this type of restaurant.
What do you think?

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News

The president of Chick-fil-A, the fast food chain with more than 1,600 restaurants and $4 billion in revenue, has come out against same-sex marriage.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Dan Cathy, the company's president and chief operating officer, said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

In an interview with the Baptist Press published this week, Cathy doubled down on his stance against same-sex unions.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy said. "We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The company, founded by Dan's father, Truett Cathy, in 1946, has a history of "unapologetic social conservatism," as the Daily Caller put it. All 1,608 of its stores are closed on Sundays, a day of rest for most Christians.

According to Queerty.com, the WinShape Foundation—Chick-fil-A's charitable arm—donated more than $1.1 million between 2003 and 2008 to anti-LGBT groups, doubling that amount to $2 million in 2009.

Earlier this year, students at Northeastern University protested a proposal to put a Chick-fil-A on its Boston campus because of the company's history of supporting anti-gay organizations. The school abandoned its plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-gay-marriage-20110812...

Views: 2006

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah I heard about Sarah Palin and her photo op at Chick-Fil-A. Sad.

Assuming the controversy never existed, that photo alone, of Dumb and Dumber, would have me avoiding the place like bubonic plague.

I said it elsewhere, but attracted like flies to a cowpie.

http://youtu.be/6MVoHFbBrP8

Thanks for the You Tube video Sentient Biped.

We don't get Chick-fil-A in Europe. Too bad, it would be fun to vandalise their premises.

I'm wondering what sort of chicken they use ? You know, grain fed, free range, battery farmed or otherwise industrially produced ? Well raised chicken is delicious and chicken with a sub-standard of living produces poor tasting meat. I bet Chick-fil-A tastes shit and consumers don't know the difference.

What ever happened to Kentucky Fried Chicken ? I liked it when I was a kid. Would Colonel Saunders have had something to say on the issues raised or was he just a mythical Jesus Christ type figure.

Food for thought.

We still have those KFC's here in the USA.

Not sure what Colonel Sanders would say - or maybe he would stay out of it.

Thanks!

Steph, here's what Funny or Die had to say about that.  Actually it's not all that funny.  But not something to die over either.  Maybe a bad case of gastroenteritis?

That's John Goodman. I thought it looked like him. Thanks!
That was interesting! Appreciate it!

Very funny !

There is no limit to Christian hypocrisy. I wish I ate at Chick-fil-A so I could boycott them. My wish would be to boycott Chick-fil-A out of business, but in a country with a history of bigotry I know it won't happen. Some of my friends wonder why I even care and now I am wondering why they are my friends. I am a people fan and understand Dr. King's admonition that injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. Yes, I believe in retribution for stupidity especially when using belief in invisible beings to justify what is little more than blatant bigotry.

You are right Donald that in a land of bigotry Chick-Fil-A will probably not run out of business.

I like Jon Stewart's take on all the supporters who went to Chick-Fil-A to eat in support of its anti-gay marriage stance. "What better way to stand up and say I oppose gay people's right to get married than to head down to a Chick-fil-A, grab ahold of two buttery buns, split em open and gobble down some of that hot greasy cock. ... You don't want to swallow but you gots to!" 

And, while they're swallowing that cock in opposition, they can take comfort in the knowledge that other good Christians, like Margie Phelps, support their stance. 

Screen Shot 2012-07-18 At 4.33.47 Pm

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service