Will you no longer eat at this restaurant?
I don't usually eat fast food - but I don't think I want to support this type of restaurant.
What do you think?

By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo! News

The president of Chick-fil-A, the fast food chain with more than 1,600 restaurants and $4 billion in revenue, has come out against same-sex marriage.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,'" Dan Cathy, the company's president and chief operating officer, said in a recent radio interview. "I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

In an interview with the Baptist Press published this week, Cathy doubled down on his stance against same-sex unions.

"Guilty as charged," Cathy said. "We are very much supportive of the family—the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

"We know that it might not be popular with everyone," he added, "but thank the Lord, we live in a country where we can share our values and operate on biblical principles."

The company, founded by Dan's father, Truett Cathy, in 1946, has a history of "unapologetic social conservatism," as the Daily Caller put it. All 1,608 of its stores are closed on Sundays, a day of rest for most Christians.

According to Queerty.com, the WinShape Foundation—Chick-fil-A's charitable arm—donated more than $1.1 million between 2003 and 2008 to anti-LGBT groups, doubling that amount to $2 million in 2009.

Earlier this year, students at Northeastern University protested a proposal to put a Chick-fil-A on its Boston campus because of the company's history of supporting anti-gay organizations. The school abandoned its plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/chick-fil-gay-marriage-20110812...

Views: 2092

Replies to This Discussion

Chick-Fil-A already pissed me off when I heard about their overt christian policies.  This business just sealed the deal.

I have literally started looking at cups and wrappers when we're out and have to buy a quick bite, if I see even a hint of religion, we don't give them our hard earned money.  We try not to do fast food, but sometimes we get so busy there's just no avoiding it and frankly every now and again I just want a burger and then I spend two days feeling like crap after eating it, so I have no idea why I continue to do this to myself! I should just swear off all fast food... it tastes soooo good and hurts you sooo bad! Thankfully I never developed a taste for McDonald's I always thought their burgers tasted well, frankly, unlike meat and the nuggets like cardboard.

I used to occasionally eat at Cracker Barrel Restaurant, until I found out about their anti-gay employee policy of discrimination. That was it for me. But then I learned that action was taken against the company by the stockholders themselves. The NYC Retirement System pension fund (having $6 million invested in the company) lead the way, and soon, the stockholders forced the company to change it's policy. Cracker Barrel's board voted unanimously to rescind the anti-gay policies they once had. And now, they get my money again.

The lesson that I'm taking away is that if potential customers are going to make a difference, then the advice of Deepthroat in the Watergate scandal comes to mind. "Follow the money." Let the stockholders know you won't eat there, and see how quickly they have a "Come to Jesus" meeting when it affects their wallet.

Right Pat - it's best not to eat at restaurants like that. Follow the money - I agree.

Pat, good to learn of the Cracker Barrel board voting unanimously to rescind anti-gay policies. If the money flow reveals public objection, it becomes easier for them to do the right thing. Too bad their moral compass doesn't work as well.  

You're right Joan. The magnetic pole for their moral compass is their profit and loss statement. But, if that's their sensitive parts, it's a good place to start kicking.

Well that's good to hear Jonathan.

I just have to try out Loren's boycott posters:

Boycott Chick-Fil-A 

Boycott Chick-Fil-A 

Oh! this one shows the logo better. Great job, Loren!

My pleasure, Joan!  Use 'em in good health!

Seem's as though this is catching on:

"An Idaho-based eatery has removed Pepsi soft drinks, as well as Miller and Coors beers, from their menu because of the brands' support of the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce.

As WKREM and NWCN.com are reporting, Waha Bar and Grill owners Mike and Mari Fuller have cited their Christian faith as their incentive for yanking the products.

"The National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce is an entity that collects money from major corporations to further promote policies for the gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgenders, and being Christians, we don't support that," Mike told the news station. Added Mari: "We make our decisions on what we like and what we want to purchase and buy, and everyone has that same right."

The couple also said that they'd consider adding the products to their menu again if the brands stopped supporting the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce, but MillerCoors says that isn't likely. "Due to the diversity and breadth of our consumers and because we believe in supporting the many communities we serve, we support myriad organizations across the country," a statement from the company, which was transcribed on Towleroad, read. "The National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce is one of many organizations we are proud to support."

Full Story Here.

BUT! In another story Office Depot and Lady Gaga are teaming up to turn people gay.

Lady Gaga's Office Depot Partnership Slammed For Inspiring Teens 'T...

Well, it would seem as though Cathy's big mouth has drawn the attention of the mayor of Boston, Massachusetts.  According to this HuffPost article, any expansion Chick-Fil-A wants to accomplish in Bean-Town will be difficult at best.

And are you ready for the cliche?  Chick-Fil-A is being BANNED IN BOSTON!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service